cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloading a very large folder from another user

Downloading a very large folder from another user

hamble
New member | Level 2

I'm a 'light' dropbox user with very little storage space.

I've been given access to a Dropbox folder from another user, which contains thousands of files and over 20GB. I need to download this to my Windows PC.

I do not have any need to store a copy myself in Dropbox. How can I get them to my PC, without requiring a dropbox subscription to replicate storage of these files?

3 Replies 3

Re: Downloading a very large folder from another user

Mark
Super User II

Ask the sender for a shared link and download them via the readonly link on the website: https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/share/view-only-access

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

hamble
New member | Level 2

I have a link, but when I try to download, I get error message: The zip file is too large

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @hamble,

To download directory as a zip, some restrictions have to be considered. Every one file inside zip must be less than 4GB, total files/directories count in a single zip must be less than 10000, and common zip content (all files together) must be less than 20GB. If you meet requirements, but not the last (common size), try download the shared folder - subfolder by subfolder, or ask the person owning the share to rearrange it, so every subfolder be less than 20GB (and so downloadable). 😉

Good luck.

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?