cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloading all camera uploads to external harddrive

Downloading all camera uploads to external harddrive

Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

How can I download all my camera uploads to a hard drive?

When I click download on the folder, it says it cannot be downloaded and it is impractical for me to just keep scrolling to download from the timeline. I'm trying to get through years worth of photos to create a memory book and scrolling is taking up way too much time.

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Re: Downloading all camera uploads to hardrive

Dropboxer

Hi there @cozynarwhal; thanks for joining our Community!

I'm assuming you're trying to download your camera uploads folder from the website because you're not using the desktop app on your computer; is that correct? 

Can you please let me know approximately how large this folder is? 

Also, have you tried downloading its content in smaller batches? 

Keep me posted!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Walter 

I have the dropbox desktop app. But I have no idea how big the folder is (can't figure out how to get this info on the website) and my laptop has a flash drive, so I'm worried it will be more than what my laptop can handle. I wanted to download it onto an external harddrive. 

Is there a way to specify the size of the smaller batches? Otherwise I'd be scrolling for ages.

Explorer | Level 3

@Walter Any ideas?

Dropboxer

Hey @cozynarwhal, in general, you can download a folder as long as it's smaller than 20 GB and/or has fewer than 10,000 files in it. 

You can calculate the size of a folder from the website by following the steps mentioned in this link

However, since you have the desktop app installed, that means that you might have the Camera Uploads folder already available on your local hard drive. 

If that is the case, you can simply copy and paste the folder from the Dropbox folder directly to your external hard drive. 

If you're not too sure where the Dropbox folder is, you can have a look at this article which mentions how to find it. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

@Lusil

1. When I follow the instructions in the link provided, there is no option to calculate size.  I'm assuming there was a software update and this page was not updated.

2. That folder is probably larger than my laptop harddrive, so I can't just sync it to my laptop and then copy it over to the external harddrive. Can you please let me know a solution to getting this large camera uploads folder to my external hard drive without downloading it to my laptop since it is too big for my laptop? 

Thank you for your time. 

Dropboxer

The steps in the link Lusil provided do still apply, can you let me know exactly where you're running into trouble, @cozynarwhal?

When you have enabled "Size" as one of the column headers and selected a folder, are you not seeing the "Calculate size" from the ellipsis menu? Feel free to send a screenshot.

In terms of downloading the folder, perhaps you could temporarily move the Dropbox folder to your external drive?

The process would be to move the folder with these steps to the external drive, and once the move has completed, select the folder to sync locally with selective sync.

Once the sync has finished, you can make a copy of the content to keep on the external drive. Then, remove the folder again via selective sync, and move the Dropbox folder back to the original location on your computer.

Does that sound like it would do the trick?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?