cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Downloading large folders

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have a Dropbox Professional account and am receiving a large folder of 87GB of photos. Is there any way that once I receive the files via Dropbox, to simply transfer them to extermal hard drive? I find Dropbox to not be very intuitive which is crazy, considering this is a very simple app.  Any help you can offer would be most appreciated, I am very frustrated.  Downloading the files to my hard drive first is simply not an option.  I don't have enough hard disc space to even save a .zip file.

8 Replies 8
Highlighted

Re: Downloading large folders

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @sherri2 - welcome to our Community!

Since your device's hard disk space is limited at the moment, I'd suggest downloading the contents of the folder to your external hard drive directly in small batches by using the website (and not our desktop app).

Note that the location of your Downloads is handled by your browser so you might need to select the external hard drive through your browser's settings to achieve this.

Let me know how this goes!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thank you so much for your quick response Walter.  I have changed my download settings to accommodate for your suggestion.  What would you consider a "small batch"? Is there any way to download the whole folder of images?  There are about 2200 files I believe.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

One additional question Walter.  I requested these files using the "File requests" option.  Once I receive all the files, is there an easy way to transfer the files to the "My files" section and then make them private so that the sender no longer has access to them?

Thanks so much for your assistance. This is a highly sensitive situation and I appreciate you making this a little less stressful!

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

@sherri2 wrote:

I requested these files using the "File requests" option.  Once I receive all the files, is there an easy way to transfer the files to the "My files" section

They'll already be in the My files section, within the File requests folder.

... and then make them private so that the sender no longer has access to them?

Files uploaded through the File Requests feature are only accessible to you. The sender cannot acces them once uploaded.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @sherri2 - did you manage to download the contents of the mentioned folder after all?

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Unfortunately, no.  When I try the download, I receive an error message that the zip file cannot be downloaded?

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thanks Rich!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I'm sorry to hear you're still having issues with this @sherri2.

Can you let me know what's the exact size of the zip file you're trying to download at the moment and forward me a screenshot of the exact error you get?

Have you tried doing it in small batches as I had mentioned in my initial response?

Walter

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?