cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drag & Drop on mac

Drag & Drop on mac

Explorer | Level 4

Hello. Someone is sending me some photos via Email from Dropbox. I have no experience using this App. I have an iMac. Since I do not have Dropbox installed, do I just drag and drop from their email onto my desktop? Or how will this work?

6 Replies 6

Re: Drag & Drop on mac

Dropboxer

Hi @SM20, thanks for messaging today!

It shouldn't be possible to drag and drop from the email, as the files would be located on the Dropbox site.

Do you know how the files have been sent to you? Are you able to see them on the Dropbox site? Could you forward a screenshot of the email you received, without any personal details on it?

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

71ECCA3E-18C6-4D6A-B7CB-83488140B210.jpgCAB1AAC9-87EF-40ED-9F62-DA1C31761F74.jpeg

Explorer | Level 4

I uploaded the two emails I received as you can see. As I didn't have dropbox on my device, he sent a second mail with just the link. But if I click on that the page is empty. 

So I need Dropbox on either my iPad or my computer, right, in order to see the photos he sent? And if I do download the app or whatever, then where do the photos go to when I click on the link. Will they automatically be added to my iPhotos or stay separate in Dropbox?

Dropboxer

After testing the link, it should work without a Dropbox account. You can click it and then download the folder using the button on the top right. 

When it downloads, you can open the zip file and move the photos wherever you want on your machine.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Jay!

Thank you so much for your assistance! I did try to do as you instructed. But alas, I believe the operating system on my old iMac is too old to allow me to do this! I just get a blank page. Nothing loads. I even tried to log in from there and it wouldn't work. I'm due for a new computer! 

So in the interim, I may just download Dropbox onto my iPad. These were photos belonging to my husband. And I really wanted to load them onto a laptop he is getting soon. But someone sent me his pics via Dropbox for me to look at until his laptop arrives. So that I could check they were all extracted alright from his old laptop. 

Question is about Dropbox. There is a free account, right? But it is only 2GB. As his photos are much more than that, I would probably have to buy a plan. Will these photos then stay on Dropbox...like storage and not go automatically into my photos on my iPad? Probably sill questions....but I'm trying to keep things separate. And is Dropbox like a Cloud storage? I could eventually put all of our photos on there to have as a backup? 

Dropboxer

If you have the Dropbox mobile app installed on the iPad, you can click the link via the iPad and then tap 'Save to 'Dropbox on the top right, after signing into your Dropbox account.

If the files are larger than the 2 GB, then you'd need a paid plan. Files will remain on your account, and not the Photos app on the iPad, even if you downgrade, although syncing will stop when you're overquota.

Bear in mind that deletions to files would appears on the account.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?