cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox Creating an Empty Folder in My Passport (E:)

Drobox Folder

williamghenry
Explorer | Level 4

Hi,

I have moved my Dropbox Folder from My Passport (E:) to My Book (N:) which Dropbox has successfully done.

However, there is still a dropbox folder in E: which has the address My Passport (E:) > Dropbox > My PC (Desktop-H709SRD) > Desktop > The folder is empty.

I have reformatted E: and when I close E: and open up E: again the Dropbox folder still appears with the above address.

Can anyone explain this to me as I am baffled why Dropbox is creating a Folder in E: which is not my current Dropbox folder?

On the Sync tab in Dropbox Preferences My Book (N:) is clearly shown as my Dropbox Folder.

I have used Dropbox for many years without errors.

Thank you

William Henry

5 Replies 5

Re: Drobox Folder

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey @williamghenry, thanks for using Dropbox and happy Monday!

This folder could have been created by the computer backup feature. Do you remember enabling it at some point in the past?

Also, could you let me know the app's exact status of the desktop app as shown in your system tray?

If you could include a screenshot of how it looks like on your end too, I'd appreciate it.

Cheers!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Dropbox Creating an Empty Folder in My Passport (E:)

williamghenry
Explorer | Level 4

I have successfully moved the Dropbox Folder from My Passport (E:) to My Book (N:)

The only Icon that shows on Dropbox is the Syncing Icon when Dropbox is syncing

However, Dropbox is creating a Folder in My Passport E: "This PC > My Passport (E:)  > Dropbox  > My PC (DESKTOP-H709SRD) > Desktop > This folder is empty"

I have contacted Dropbox Support and they cannot solve the problem even though I have sent them several screenshots of what is happening. They have told me the incident is closed which clearly is not.

Mark
Super User II

Are you using the My Passport software for this rather than the standard Dropbox one?

Its also worth remembering that Dropbox isnt technically supported on external drives due to the massive risk of data loss and corruption

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

williamghenry
Explorer | Level 4
I don't accept your answer Dropbox has a Preference Setting to move the Dropbox Folder to an External Drive In my case the External Drive is always connected I have used Dropbox for many years without errors I choose and Dropbox allows me to set an External Drive as the Dropbox Folder

Mark
Super User II

You dont have to accept it as an answer. It is, however, a factual answer. 

There are many examples on here of people finding their whole Dropbox account is wiped because its on an external drive. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?