cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Drop Box is Full…but not really

Drop Box is Full…but not really

Heather D.2
New member | Level 1

I kept getting this notice that my DropBox was full, so I went through and deleted 3/4 of my photo folder. It still said it was still full, so I went through and deleted all the "hidden" files permanently to make sure they weren't still taking up room. Now It STILL says my dropbox is full (even though the only folder I have now is photos and it's 1.4 mb full).

How is this even possible? I deleted at least 300+ photos/videos, that apparently I could have kept on my dropbox because they have not reduced my dropbox file size AT ALL.

13 Replies 13

Ed
Dropboxer

Hi Heather,

Could you please check how much space left you got here: https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/14

Also, check if there's someone sharing a folder with you as this might be taking space too.

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Chris U.2
New member | Level 1

I also have this problem. My dropbox stopped letting me add files a couple days ago. So i deleted half the folders and files (which were quite big) and removed myself from shared folders that are not needed. .... yet it still says im using the same amount of space. I dont know how that is possible. The only thing i can think of is that it is because those files are in the deleted files folder not actually deleted but i cant find an option to remove permanently

Rachael A.
New member | Level 1

Why am I getting emails my drop box is no longer syncing files and that I need to purchase more memory when I still have 70% left?

Rich
Super User II

Have you checked the available space on your Account page? If it's showing plenty of available space, then the emails could be fakes; phishing attempts, etc. There have been a few going around lately. Did you click any of the links in the message? If so, did you enter your account information? If you did, then you'll want to change your password immediately.

David L.125
New member | Level 1

My client tried to add a file and it said the dropbox was full.  I deleted 1/2 of the folders after copying to my harddrive.  I did not permanently delete them.  My usage says 1.7 GB is used out of 7 GB.   That is not anywhere near full.  My client tried to add another document and it said the dropbox was full.   Suggestions?

Mark
Super User II

Is there Dropbox not full Doreen? They wouldn't be told if yours was. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

David L.125
New member | Level 1

Oh, so you are saying my client's drop box is full? 

That is weird because she had never had a dropbox before and she only accepted to join my dropbox.  I will ask her though and get back to you.  Thank you.

Mark
Super User II

Almost certainly its her. 

Remember though that if you have things in the share it will be also using HER data.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

David L.125
New member | Level 1

Yes, I failed to mention that to her.  I make it a practice to uncheck the box allowing my clients to share the drop box invitation I send them with anyone else.  Doesn't that control that issue for me?    ALSO, I did not UNSHARE my folders before I copied them to my computer and deleted the files this morning.  What are the consequences of my actions?  Do I need to restore, unshare, and re-delete?

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Need more support?