cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drop box is stuck at "Starting..." but files are being synced

Drop box is stuck at "Starting..." but files are being synced

pellet
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

The box icon on system tray stays at gray and says "Starting...". But, when files are changed on another computer, they are being synced. Should I be concerned? Is there a fix?

Thanks.

80 Replies 80

pellet
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Ver 54.5.90 on Windows 10 Pro

pellet
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Starting.png

This is what mine look like. Our problem is slightly different.

davidbautista
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

When you closse the app or kill the task and you open it again it changes. But I guess in the end it's the same problem. It's more like the logo stuck in displaying those messages instead of going to "ready" (or whatever it says when it finishes syncing). I hope they fix it, because even if the files are correctly synced (I tried creating a txt file in my computer and it appeared normally in my cloud) it's kind of annoying.

mrjxn007
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I was having the same problem. I reinstalled the desktop app and now the "indexing, syncing" has gone away, but it is stuck saying "Dropbox 54.4.90 starting..."

davidbautista
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

In other topic, they posted this possible solution: 

• Stop Dropbox (If needed) by clicking the Dropbox icon in the system tray at the bottom of your screen. >Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select"Quit Dropbox".
  • Uninstall Dropbox: [Note: If Dropbox was installed by a Windows administrator in Program Files, you will need admin permissions to remove the application.]> Click on the Start button on the bottom left of your screen, and select "Control Panel"(Windows 7), or type Control Panel at the Start screen or start menu, and click on it(Windows 10, 8 ).> Click "Uninstall a Program". >Select Dropbox from the list of programs and click "Uninstall".
  • When the uninstall finishes, reboot your computer. This will make sure the uninstall is complete.  

But the user reported that it didn't work at all.

craigs182
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same. 

Windows Explorer says files are synced, but the logo in the tray is stuck on starting, and I can't open any of my files 

mrjxn007
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm having the same issue. In addition to the desktop app being stuck "starting" Screen Shot 2018-08-14 at 10.09.33 AM.pngI also noticed that I'm getting a warning on my mobile app saying "Your Dropbox is full. Contact your admin for more space" There is no way that this is correct since I'm nowhere close to reaching my limit.

IMG_9091.jpg

davidbautista
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

In my case I can normally open, edit or move files and it doesn't appear anything related to space... (I am 50% full). It's more like a problem with the task bar logo/icon.

rhelvey
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

We are having the same issues. I am not getting any response from anyone from dropbox. I pay monthly for this service and no response for over 4 hours is not okay. We are sitting ducks until this is resolved. I am able to use dropbox on my desktop, but not on any mobile devices. We pay for 1TB of data and have used 131GB. Please help. 
IMG_0218.PNGDropbox.jpg

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    MichaelP Explorer | Level 4
    4llan Helpful | Level 5
    davidbautista Helpful | Level 5
    Jane Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?