cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drop box is stuck at "Starting..." but files are being synced

Drop box is stuck at "Starting..." but files are being synced

pellet
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

The box icon on system tray stays at gray and says "Starting...". But, when files are changed on another computer, they are being synced. Should I be concerned? Is there a fix?

Thanks.

80 Replies 80

rhelvey
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Also desktop is stuck on "Starting..."

cvlk
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

hello there!

i have the dropbox 2tb plan with smartsync (smartsync being the main reason i wanted it).  i wanted to download the mac dropbox app and have everything "online only" simply so i can see the files as they come in.

it seems to be functioning fine in finder.  i see all the cloud icons on all the files in my dropbox.

in the top bar however, the dropbox icon has a white "1" in a red circle.  when i click on it, it seems to be stuck on "dropbox is starting ..."

this is fresh install (v54.4.90).  i have tried uninstalling per dropbox instructions and re-installing two or three times now.

in preferences, i have tried setting my proxies to auto or no proxy because i read it helped someone else with the same issue.  didn't help me.  it's set to no proxy right now.  under sync menu, i have my files start as "online-only."

note: i have set my dropbox location to a secondary internal drive.  might this be a problem?

lastly, i am only using 41% of my 2tb on dropbox.

thanks for your help!

pellet
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Jane, I have tried that. It didn't help.

RPantel
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have two administration accounts on my WIndows 7 x64 system, just in case my primary does not work.  The primary account does have the latest version fo dropbox installed.  The backup account does NOT have dropbox installed.

The last couple of days, my PC was not booting past the selection of users into my primary account. 

I accessed the secondary admin account, then switched to the primary to get past this new glitch.  I have also noted that the dropbox icon remains grey and has the note "Dropbox is starting" when the pointer hovers over the icon.

I ended up uninstalling dropbox completely.  The computer booted flawlessly.  So I reinstalled dropbox.  I am again having boot issues into the account that has dropbox installed.

Once I get past the boot issues, the icon is still greyed out and the same "Dropbox is starting" message shows when I hover the pointer over the dropbox icon.

The syncing appears to be continuing even though the message would suggest otherwise.

I have read other posts in the forum and have tried proxy settings in both the on and off positions.  No difference in outcome.  

Since dropbox is effectively our company's WAN, this new behavior is rather troubling.  Any suggestions for fixing this problem, or do we need to switch to another cloud based file sharing system?

YeOldeBowler
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I have updated to Beta 55.3.168 but still showing 'Starting...'

pellet
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Same as mine.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks a lot to everyone for your reports! 

I’ve made sure to get in touch with you on my end via email, so as to investigate each individual case based on the details I have on my tools. It’s my understanding that despite the error message, your files are syncing to your account online as expected, though please do let me know if you’re experiencing a different behavior & we’ll take it from there. 

I appreciate the time you’ve devoted in posting us on the matter & I’ll be awaiting to hearing back from you via email! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

rhelvey
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Hey Jane,

I have not gotten a response from anyone today. I have been requesting help on a couple of different threads since about 9:30 am eastern time. My mobile devices are unable to upload or sync. Desktops can sync. Could you help me please?

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the nudge rhelvey, I’ve made sure to reply to you on your open ticket! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

neekster
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm having exactly the same problem, started today on 3 separate machines (all macs). 

Tried with the latest beta and stable v54.4.90, same on all machines. Red 1 in the icon, leave it all day, still says it's starting. There does appear to be some activity, but it's very slow and no real idea what's going on. 

I've also tried starting from scratch and wiping the folder settings etc, login and link again, same deal.

I'm on the professional plan too, although as far as I know still on 1TB, but alarmingly if I look in my Dropbox account is says:

Your account is full Using 429.15 GB of 0 bytes

So our space has vanished according to dropbox, so I suspect there is a broader issue here that's not specific to the client. I'll be getting in touch with dropbox support.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    MichaelP Explorer | Level 4
    4llan Helpful | Level 5
    davidbautista Helpful | Level 5
    Jane Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?