cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drop box taking up space

Drop box taking up space

msmorto92
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have a 2T plan on my Mac the dropbox folder is taking up 1.02 T.   on line when I look at my account it says:

Regular files (208.31 GB)

Shared files (1.08 GB)

Unused space (1.8 TB)

I have 3.2 gig available on the Mac and   Drop box is saying it can't sync.  Why is dropbox taking up 1 T when there is only 210 gig on line.
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

msmorto92
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Thank you for the reply what am I reading wrong it says shared files 1.08 gig and 1.8 gig free?

View solution in original post

26 Replies 26

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

When you've looked at the space used online you are not including the shared folders. They are using up over 1TB of space. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

msmorto92
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Thank you for the reply what am I reading wrong it says shared files 1.08 gig and 1.8 gig free?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Sorry I've misread.

So, I also think you've misunderstood how Dropbox works. 

Dropbox is not, at all, like iCloud used to work. It is a real life physical folder on your device. It takes up and uses space and quota on your device. So, if you are syncing your Dropbox to your computer it is using space. You can easily prove that by disabling your internet connection and opening/editing a file. 

If you want to save space you need to use either Smart Sync or Selective Sync. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

msmorto92
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Mark I like to think  I understand how Dropbox works.  I had just turned on selective sync and apparently it did clean up but in my mind it is still incorrect.  On line is the below:  The same as before:

Personal Dropbox spaceUsing 209.39 GB of 2 TB
Shared files (1.08 GB)
Unused space (1.8 TB)

Yet on my MAC I am using 568.18 gig. more than double.   This to me does not make sense that is more than double what Drop box is saying I am using with selective sync on.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @msmorto92, I'd be happy to look into this! 

Can you check if you might have enabled our computer backup feature

Also, what's your app's syncing status

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

msmorto92
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Megan

Thank you.  I do have backup on for Desktop 139.7 meg  Documents 4.8 meg  Downloads 55.5 meg

On Drop Box is says:
Shared files (1.08 GB)
Unused space (1.8 TB)
Drop box folder on Mac is now 316.55 gig
My last response when my Mac said over 500 gig the status in the app was: files up to date, as it is now.  I actually prefer having all of my files on my Mac as opposed to using smart sync.  I am still confused why the dropbox folder is about 100 gig over what is on dropbox.  if you saw my first post before turning on smart sync my dropbox folder was at 1T and syncing was paused and the app said I did not have enough disk space ,  I have a 1 T drive and I had 1.9 gig free.  thank you..

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Can you send us a few screenshots of what you see on your end, @msmorto92

That'll help us get the visual you have on your end, regarding the files you have online and what you see in your Dropbox folder's properties. 

Thanks a bunch.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

msmorto92
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Not sure what you are looking for.  Now my dropbox folders is at 231.  Question you had asked about backup,  when I look at personal space below does that include the backup?    Also with Smart sync on why am I just getting to the total space used on Dropbox?   I have a Microsoft Laptop that I have really just as a backup and I do have smart sync turned on and if you look below it says size 208 gig disk space used 3 gig.  

From Drop box

msmorto92_2-1642523893536.png

From my computer

msmorto92_1-1642523860714.png

Details from the Dropbox folder on my computer

msmorto92_3-1642524400673.png

from PC.

msmorto92_5-1642526151980.png

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @msmorto92, sorry to jump in here.

Another odd thing is that your Dropbox folder on your Mac was initially 1 TB large and now it's gotten down to 231 GB.

How did this happen, did you do something on your end?

Selective sync would remove folders from the Dropbox folder, but 1 TB of space is too much, when the website says 209 GB.

So, just to make sure, are your computer and the Dropbox website both signed in to the same Dropbox account?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    lwalker0312 New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?