cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DropBox deleted ALL my files

DropBox deleted ALL my files

jameshancock
Explorer | Level 3

Dropbox sync folder gradually ate up ROM. I went to delete files from the Dropbox sync folder on my desktop (PC) and it erased not only the Dropbox folder files but the original files as well. I only managed to halt the erasure when it was nearly complete. Decades of documents are gone! I hit dropbox rewind and after 24 hours it said it was done, but now there's even fewer files left!

This includes my desktop screen as well as files directly accessed from that screen, files in Documents , photos, etc.

I tried to get help via chat but it isn't working until Monday. I left an email for support but haven't heard anything back from them. And of course, even being a paying customer, I can't talk with anyone in tech support---

any help would be appreciated.

5 Replies 5

Re: DropBox deleted ALL my files

Walter
Dropboxer
Hi @jameshancock; welcome to the Community!

Can you please clarify if you enabled the computer backup feature at some point?

While we're at it, what's your desktop app reporting in your system tray?

Regarding your missing files, can you see any sign of them in your deleted files page or in the events page?

Let me know what you find!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

jameshancock
Explorer | Level 3

Walter,

thanks for getting back to me. Last night I finally got someone from help to chat. They said they were sending my case to the restorations team and I would hear back in a few hours ----that was over 12 hours ago

to your points--yes I've been using backup for a while, the person from chat had me stop that and all sync under selective sync and assured me my files would be recovered.

PC desktop has been on for a while the DropBox icon shows constant uploading and downloading of files, but I don't see any of my missing data so far

when I look on deleted files page, the circle just spins and spins--for hours

James

Walter
Dropboxer
Thanks for keeping me in the loop, James.

I've passed your comments on to your existing ticket and I can also see it's forwarded to our Restorations team so you should be hearing from them soon.

Let us know if there's anything else we can assist with in the meantime. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

jameshancock
Explorer | Level 3

walter,

Someone from restoration named Mark sent me an email saying the account had been "rolled Back"---but no deleted files have been downloaded to my desktop. The DropBox icon still says "uploading 272 files downloading 279 files" . It has said the same thing for 24 hours. I'm missing over 300 gigs worth of data.

I've been using DropBox to backup my hard drive and now years of work has been erased by DropBox. How do I get it back?

as you may see, I'm in somewhat of a panic---almost all my business files are gone.

James

Walter
Dropboxer
I'm terribly sorry for the late response, James. Are you still having issues with this? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?