cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox 88.4.172 Suddenly began re-synching all files...has a cause been found?

Highlighted

Dropbox 88.4.172 Suddenly began re-synching all files...has a cause been found?

Collaborator | Level 9

Today Dropbox started re-synching everything....apparently "uploading 118K files" and simultaneously "downloading 136K files".  Initially scary as I thought I had accidentally deleted everything or some similar situation.

Like other times I've seen in the forum there's no 'fix' other than waiting it out.  But seeing that this has been a problem for some in the past, and not user error, has a cause been determined?

28 Replies 28
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox 88.4.172 Suddenly began re-synching all files...has a cause been found?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @DarseZ - welcome to our Community!

Based on your description, it looks like you may have recently experienced a case where the Dropbox desktop application had to re-index some of the files in your local Dropbox folder.

As you're probably aware by now, this can happen in some cases if there are updates made to the Dropbox desktop application. Note that this process does not affect or remove any of the files in your Dropbox folder.

At this point, I'd suggest to let it sync until it shows 'up to date' again.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Let me know if there's anything else I can assist with!

PS: If you'd like to look into this matter with account and device specific information, feel free to contact our support team

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: Dropbox 88.4.172 Suddenly began re-synching all files...has a cause been found?

Collaborator | Level 9

Thanks Walter, so this can happen when the app updates.  Fair enough, it's good to know the source in this case.  Appreciate your time d

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

And how long will it take? My pc was on for half a day and still no changes.

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 9

It depends on how many files you have, but in my case it will take 2 days according to the app.

(EDIT:  I think there's something up with the latest version.  Syncing isn't happening.)

Highlighted

88.4.172 Sync Issues?

Collaborator | Level 9

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 9

Hi Walter.  When you said "this can happen in some cases if there are updates made to the Dropbox desktop application"...

...is that code for "there are issues with the new version and we're working on them"?

Just wondering...because things seem like they're not working at the moment.

Love dropbox, thanks for your time! d

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey peeps @DarseZ & @marianemes; sorry for the late reply.

I'd be happy to look into this with account/device specific information so please let me know if you'd like me to reach out to your Dropbox associated email addresses so we can work on it together. 

In the meantime, if you could share a screenshot of the current status of the app as shown within your computers' system tray/menu bar, I'd appreciate it. 

Oh, by the way, have you tried changing your bandwidth settings through the app's preferences to see if the syncing process improves?

Keep me posted! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 9

Hi Walter, here are the screenshots...each time I re-install it's different but currently stuck at around 242 files.  looking forward to hearing from youScreenshot 2020-01-20 14.43.45.pngScreenshot 2020-01-20 14.48.58.png

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 9

My bandwith settings are default by the way (don't limit downloads / limit uploads automatically)

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?