cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox App No Longer Streams Uncompressed Audio

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello, I'm an audio engineer and music producer and I work out of Dropbox. I typically will listen to exported tracks on my phone using the Dropbox app, as well as sending different versions to clients. A while ago streaming quality in the desktop browser took a nosedive, but this wasn't the end of the world to me as I mainly use the app. Now it appears the mobile app is affected as well. I've already submitted a ticket, but I'm also looking for any possible solutions from the community. A simple option to maintain audio quality/stream uncompressed audio (the way it was previously) would be ideal... I have been using Dropbox for many years for this purpose and now I'm going to have to change my workflow and use another cloud storage service that will let me stream uncompressed audio as Dropbox has in the past - if anyone else is using Dropbox in a similar way I would love to hear suggestions.

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox App No Longer Streams Uncompressed Audio

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hello @jamiethemorris - happy Monday!

At first, could you clarify the steps you take that result in this? Does it happen for all of your files or some? What type of files are these? 

Have you by any chance tried to offline the mentioned files (or export them to another app)? Does the issue persist when you do?

Remember the Dropbox app is a file viewer that allows you to preview the files, photos, and videos in your Dropbox folder directly on your mobile device.

Unlike the Dropbox computer application, the Dropbox app does not automatically store files locally on your device. This is because we want to be mindful of resource constraints mobile devices face such as device storage or bandwidth limitations. Given this, the contents of your Dropbox will not take up space on your mobile device. It also means that you cannot preview files without a WiFi or data connection. 

One additional thing here to check; does this persist on a different wifi or when on cellular data? 

Any additional information will be much appreciated Jamie!

Welcome to our Community by the way 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: Dropbox App No Longer Streams Uncompressed Audio

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2
Yea, I have excactly the same issue. It’s frustrating. I was just about to switch to just sending streaming links to clients for security reasons. Now it seems not possible.
Any suggestions well appreciated.
Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?