cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox App on a Windows Server 2016 RDS/Terminal Server

Dropbox App on a Windows Server 2016 RDS/Terminal Server

IH8Computers
New member | Level 2

We run the DropBox App on a Windows Server 2016 RDS/Terminal Server.  And yes - I already opened a support ticket and was immedialy told DropBox is not supported on a server.  However, it took me only 5 seconds to find a Dropbox article describing exactly how to setup Drobox on a server.  -_-

The issue:  We're finding that the DropBox sync folders created for each User Profile (which we move from the C: drive to the 😧 drive) on the RDS server are growing quite large.  Not only that, but several of them are signing-in to the DropBox app with the extact same account, thus creating duplicated DropBox sync folders.

This customer pays for their server storage, so usage matters $$$.  

Any recommendations on sync configurations  in this type of deployment to try and mitage how much of the of the local stroage DroBox is eating-up?

3 Replies 3

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hello @IH8Computers, thanks for dropping by. 

You're right, the Dropbox app isn't designed to run on Windows Server OSes. 

However, since you mention that you're running it in different user profiles, could you clarify if any of those users are signing out of their accounts when they stop using it? 

Could you also let me know the ID (eg. #1234567) of the ticket that you submitted to our team? 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

rhythmMANx
Explorer | Level 3

RDS/Terminal Server users usually leave their profiles disconnected.  We have as GPO to Sign-out the profile after x hours of inactivity.

Ticket #11631238: DB: Local Storage Consumption for Multiple Accounts

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

I see, thanks for clarifying that for me.

I was able to find the ticket and can see that the member of my team who reviewed this for you did reply back. 

Due to account-specific information that may be needed on this, I'd recommend continuing troubleshooting via that ticket.

I've made sure to forward your comments from here, so when you have the chance, check what they mention and don't hesitate to get back to them with any additional information.

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    rhythmMANx Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?