cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox Basic app now forces syncing and uses all data in account

Helpful | Level 5

I am on a Macbook and have just upgraded to Catalina and had to reinstall the Dropbox app. I have plenty of space on my Dropbox Basic account (only using 0.92GB of the 3.88 GB available). However, if I want to access my files from Dropbox offline, using the app (and thus moving files from the hard drive to Dropbox on Finder like I used to do when I wanted to upload something), it seems to force me to link the Macbook to Dropbox and sync the files automatically (which I didn't have to do previously). When it does that, it eventually says my account is full and lo and behold, I have indeed used up all my data allowance even though it was only 1/4 full before it starting syncing the files! Can anyone explain why this is happening and what I can do about it? Thanks for your help. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox Basic app now forces syncing and uses all data in account

Helpful | Level 5

Thank you, Lusil for getting back to me and sorry for being so slow to reply! It seems that notification of your reply was delivered to my "spam" folder rather than to the inbox for my email, so I have only just found it. I think I ended up adding a folder that was too large for the amount of space I had left, after syncing with the app, and that was the problem. It looks like I caused the problem myself – sorry for taking up your time!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @PhilipRichardson, thanks for checking in with us on the Dropbox Community.

In general, when you place an item in your Dropbox folder via your Finder and the desktop app is running, it'll try to sync to your account online. 

If you want to make changes offline, you'll need to make sure that the desktop app isn't running and the Dropbox icon isn't on your menu bar. 

Having said that, could you clarify what exactly happens when you add a file to your Dropbox folder? Is it that the desktop app isn't running but upon adding content, it prompts you to sign in?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Thank you, Lusil for getting back to me and sorry for being so slow to reply! It seems that notification of your reply was delivered to my "spam" folder rather than to the inbox for my email, so I have only just found it. I think I ended up adding a folder that was too large for the amount of space I had left, after syncing with the app, and that was the problem. It looks like I caused the problem myself – sorry for taking up your time!

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

No worries, @PhilipRichardson! I'm glad to hear that you were able to resolve your concern in the end. 

If anything else comes up in the future, don't hesitate to give me another shout. 

In the meantime, I hope you have a lovely day ahead! 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?