cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Business archiving permissions options

Highlighted

Dropbox Business archiving permissions options

Explorer | Level 3

Hi there,

Recently set up a client for Dropbox Business and working out the kinks. One big questions they had was regarding archiving old projects. The archiving option provided by Dropbox is not what we're looking for. This makes the folders and files unusable unless you restore them, which is not what they need. We need to be able to put files in a folder, but manage the permissions in a more custom way. They want to be able to prevent files from being deleted or moved out of these folders, aside from a specific few people. But they do what the users to be able to add to the folder as well as view the contents and files within the folder. Is there any way to set more custom permissions? The only options currently shown in the admin console are "Can edit" and "Can view", and we're looking for something kind of in between.

Thanks!

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox Business archiving permissions options

Dropboxer

Hey @jdrumm, thanks for dropping by. 

It sounds like the file locking feature is what you're looking for.

Although it doesn't archive, check it out, and let me know if it helps or you'd like something different.

Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

File locking didn't quite accomplish what I needed. What I need are folders that will allow users (other than admins) to put files into it, but not remove them, nor be able to edit them any longer. The built in archiving option in Dropbox seems to be more akin to deleting something with the option of being able to recover it later if needed. We need to be able to put stuff away without users being able to edit the files further or being able to move the files out of there all while still being able to view it. Also, locking files looks like it needs to be done one file at a time, and these are whole projects with someimtes hundreds of files being archived at one time. Are there no ways of setting custom permissions on any folder? Are the only two options "can view" or "can edit"?

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi @jdrumm, in that case, a simple file request could be used, which allows anyone with the link to upload files to your account.

The users can't see the other files in that folder, so they can't edit or delete anything, only add new files.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?