cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox DOES delete photos from cloud when I delete them from android gallery

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Recently dropbox changed its behavior with synced media. Now it DOES delete all photos/videos from CLOUD if I delete them from my android phone. And it happens even with photos moved from Camera Uploads to other folder.

scenario:

1. make some photos

2. Wait till dropbox upload them to cloud.

3. move photos from Camera Uploads to other folder e.g. VacationPhotos via any dropbox client

4. feel the need to free up some space on your phone.

5. open Gallery app on your android and delete photos from your device.

Expected (and several times described) behavior:

photos are deleted from device but persists in dropbox cloud.

Actual behavior:

photos are deleted from device and deleted from dropbox cloud. They can be easily found in Deleted Files at dropbox web-interface.

It does not help if I turn off media sync in dropbox or stop dropbox before step 5. As soon I restore media sync or start dropbox again it DELETES all files from cloud which was deleted from device on step 5.

Versions:

android phone with cyanogenOS 13.1.2

com.dropbox.android 28.2.2  

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox DOES delete photos from cloud when I delete them from android gallery

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2
Before this incident I thought about Dropbox as very reliable storage.
From now on I will be wiser and configure some additional backup to other cloud storage.
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox DOES delete photos from cloud when I delete them from android gallery

Super User II
Super User II
First off - dont rely upon Dropbox as a backup tool. It isnt.

Secondly, no, Dropbox ITSELF does not delete photos from the cloud when you delete from the gallery. BUT if you are using a third party piece of software it may do. For example I believe the Samsung Connect software does this but looks very much like its Dropbox official software.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I dont have any Samsung software installed on my phone.

And I dont use any third party software which have access to dropbox.

So who else I should blame in case if files deleted from cloud right after I started dropbox app?  

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II
The Dropbox app you are using itself may not be an official one is what I said - its very common on Android that the apps people believe are Dropbox arent.

All I can suggest is logging a ticket to ask for support at http://bit.ly/cm-support and track at http://dropbox.zendesk.com

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2
Well thank you for the insight, yet What would you recommend as a back up tool then ?
I am a bit confused as that was for me the main interest I have in Dropbox...

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @allevall

Thanks for checking in with us! I'd be more than happy to help. 

Are you having any trouble with saving or syncing files and folders into your Dropbox account? Are you getting any errors?

Feel free to give us a nudge if there's anything we can assist with and we'll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks! 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Polls
Have you been keeping up good habits while working from home?
We've created a working from home cheat sheet to help keep up on those habits, check it out here.
Need more support?