cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Excel file opens as read only

Dropbox Excel file opens as read only

Explorer | Level 3

When I open an .xlsx file stored in Dropbox it opens as read only on my iPad. Is there someway that it can open so I can update it without changing names? Thanks.

7 Replies 7

Re: Dropbox Excel file opens as read only

Dropboxer

Hey, @mlkpied, thanks for getting in touch!

Does this happen with just one .xlsx file, or with all that are in your account? 

Also, is the file (or files) yours, or shared with you by another user? 

Let me know, and we’ll go from there! 

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https:confused face:/dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

It seems to happen with all my .xlsx files. If it matters I probably originally created them on my desktop. They seem to open there without "read" only. The steps I'm taking are

Export

Open In

Excel

Dropboxer

Hi @mlkpied, what happens if you attempt to edit the file via the Dropbox mobile using these steps?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks. I'm not sure of the exact sequence of events but I think I create this situation when I try and access the same file from Dropbox on my iPad when it is still open on my desktop, which makes sense, can't have two copies of a file with the same name.

Dropboxer

It is possible that this could be the case, could you try testing when Excel is closed on the desktop machine to see if you can edit the file on the iPad?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

Yes, that's why I think the problem is that I had the file opened on my desktop. There was a file in Dropbox that got created at some point that named a file with the original name and then in parentheses added something about the file in conflict with my desktop. I hadn't noticed that file until today. When I closed the file on my desktop, got the names reestablished, the .xlsx file opened with read/write status.

Dropboxer

Glad to hear you were able to resolve the matter, @mlkpied!

If you need any further help, feel free to let me know. Enjoy your week!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?