cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox File Explorer no files/ folders shown - Desktop App Working fine

Dropbox File Explorer no files/ folders shown - Desktop App Working fine

jahnavi_gandhi
New member | Level 2

Hi, 

Since the last 3 days, I have been unable to view any files in dropbox through File Explorer. 

Things to note: 

1. All files are synced and am able to view/ open on the website AND Desktop App and I am able to copy files to Dropbox through the website and Desktop app. 

2. In File Explorer, when I click the Dropbox icon, I see "This folder is empty" even though it is populated with many files, and am able to verify that with point 1. 

I am hence unable to browse any files within Dropbox folders using the File Explorer. 

3. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Dropbox app several times confirming the path to where it is saved - C:\Users\MyName\XYZ Dropbox\.

I am able to access only a few files using this path (maybe they were saved before this happened).

I am unable to manually type a path and view/ access most folders or files. 

I am unable to access files using this path in any other program.   

4. I have checked the sync settings in the app preferences and tried both Local and Online Only 

Please let me know what could be going on! 
Thanks!

3 Replies 3

Re: Dropbox File Explorer no files/ folders shown - Desktop App Working fine

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @jahnavi_gandhi, let's see what we can find on this together!

As a first step, I would like for you to locate your Dropbox icon (on your task bar, next to your WiFi). Can you hover your mouse there and let me know the status of the Dropbox Desktop application? 

Also, just to make sure we're aligned, can you see the files and folders when opening the desktop app?

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there. 

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

jahnavi_gandhi
New member | Level 2
Spoiler

Hi Lori, 

Thanks for your reply. 

There has been a slight change since I posted the first message. 

After posting the message, I changed the Selective Sync folders from "all selected" to "all unselected" to "all selected" - just to refresh the settings. Then, the blue sync symbol came up and a few thousand files started to sync , and in 10 minutes, it changed to the green tick with "Up to Date". 

Currently, on the Dropbox icon next to Wifi, there is a green tick mark and "Up to Date". However, even after the apparent syncing, I only see a few folders (6 out of 15) right now. 

None of the folders have any files visible in them. I see "This folder is empty."

When I manually type the path to a specific subfolder, I sometimes see a few (1 or 2 files) in it, when it is supposed to be having several files. 

Look forward to your help. 
Thanks!

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @jahnavi_gandhi, great job on the troubleshooting! 

Let's try checking for any incompatible characters in those files or folders. Can you do this please? 

If this doesn't do the trick, I'd try uninstalling the Dropbox desktop application and then re-installing again. 

Let me know what happens, after those steps!

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lori Dropboxer
    jahnavi_gandhi New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?