cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Finder Folder not syncing

Dropbox Finder Folder not syncing

wadeg
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Someone shared a word document with me and its showing up on dropbox.com and its showing up in the dropbox app on my mac (which i don't use). I use the Dropbox folder directly in Finder. The document is not there. Does the Dropbox Finder folder not sync in the same way? Am I missing something here? Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @wadeg, in order for the file to appear in Finder, you'll need to create a shared folder, invite the other user, and have the file located there.

It will sync to both machines, and you can edit it via your machine, so any changes will sync to the site, and then their device.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @wadeg, thanks for reaching out to us here!

When you check the folder in the desktop app interface, what sync icon do you see next to the folder?

If you right click the folder from there, and choose "View in Finder", does this bring up the folder in the Finder window for you?

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

wadeg
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Well now I'm only seeing the Finder window which doesn't show the document, but the sync icon is green next to my Dropbox Finder folder. Yesterday I was able to access an actual dropbox app but today when I click Dropbox in my Applications, it just takes me to the Dropbox Finder window. But again, the document is in my dropbox online. Does the document need to be stored within a folder in dropbox to be synced? Also, any thoughts on why that dropbox app is no longer showing up? Thanks.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for getting back to me here @wadeg.

To open up the app, can you just right click any file/folder within the Dropbox folder, and choose "View in Dropbox"?

Otherwise, if you have the app pinned to the Dock you can try launch it from there.

Does this folder happen to be a computer backup folder named "My Mac", at all?

Would you mind sending me a screenshot of how the folder appears within the app?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

wadeg
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

There's no View in Dropbox option. See attached. I tried opening the dropbox app from my Applications (and the Doc) and it just opens the Finder folder when I click it.

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 2.07.58 PM.png

The document that's missing is called EMAIL TEMPLATES and below you can see that its in my dropbox online. But it's not synced in my Finder (above).

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 2.11.44 PM.png 

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @wadeg, could you also try fixing the hardlinks and permissions by following these steps (for Mac)? 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

wadeg
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Done. But it didn't fix anything. The document is still not showing up in the Dropbox Finder.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for trying that out, @wadeg

Could you also try moving the files out, renaming it, and moving back in? Maybe that will trigger a change in behavior.

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

wadeg
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Okay there's something very strange about all this. When I click on the dropbox icon in my menu bar (at the top of my screen on mac) and then click the globe icon, I am taken to this URL: https://www.dropbox.com/h

Below is the screengrab for that page. You'll see that the document (the one called EMAIL TEMPLATES) is there but notice how it doesn't have the 3 dots like the other docs. I'm assuming that has something to do with why it's not syncing in my Finder but...

Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 10.46.56 AM.png

When I right click in my dropbox finder window and click "View on Dropbox.com", I am instead taken to this url: https://www.dropbox.com/home

And here you'll see that the layout is different and the document that was shared with me (EMAIL TEMPLATES) is NOT in there.

Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 10.55.54 AM.png

So... what am I missing here? Again, this doc was shared with me and I thought it would auto-sync in my Finder but it's not doing that. How to fix?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Ah I see, thanks for clarifying on this. 

Since this is a shared file, it wouldn't appear in your Finder locally or your Files tab online. 

Could you have a look at your Share tab and let me know if it's listed there?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    wadeg Explorer | Level 4
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?