cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Folder re-sysncing everything - 100+ days remaining

Explorer | Level 3

I have 550 GB in over 500,000 files in my Dropbox.  I needed to change my file structure, so moved folders into a new structure using Finder on my Mac computer.  Dropbox is now apparently re-syncing everything and has been working for a number of days without much progress.  It says it is syncing 485,000 files and started at over 500,000 files.

I changed the upload and download rate to 'don't limit'.  I have excellent internet speed with >300 Mbps down and >10 Mbps up.

I haven't created any new files on my computer since I started this process.  Would I be better off to uninstall Dropbox on my computer, delete all of my files, and then reinstall Dropbox so I can simply download everthing from the cloud?  That feels riskly but may be the only way to resolve this issue?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox Folder re-sysncing everything - 100+ days remaining

Super User II
Super User II

Possibly, but with that many files, the Dropbox app would still need to sync all the changes and with that many files, it would take a long time regardless.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Just let Dropbox work.

You've rearranged your files, so Dropbox has to re-index them. To Dropbox, the moved files will appear as either being deleted (they don't exist in their previous location) or new files being added (files appearing where there were none previously). You have to let Dropbox work and figure out where everything is. It will appear to be uploading and downloading files during this process as it has to move things around online as well. In most cases, it's only sending comparison data as once it realizes that it already has a file online, Dropbox knows that it doesn't need to be uploaded again.

Part of the problem you're experiencing is due to the number of files you have. The performance of the Dropbox app starts to decline when you have more than 300,000 files. This isn't just the app, but a combination of the app, your processor, available memory, etc.

Be patient and let Dropbox do its thing. If you interrupt it, or try to uninstall/reinstall, you'll just need to start the process all over again.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Would it have been better to:

1- Pause syncing on my computer,

2- Rearrange files in a web browser on the Dropbox site,

3- Un-Pause syncing on my computer?

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Possibly, but with that many files, the Dropbox app would still need to sync all the changes and with that many files, it would take a long time regardless.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for your thoughtful input!

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Polls
Have you been keeping up good habits while working from home?
We've created a working from home cheat sheet to help keep up on those habits, check it out here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?