cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Folders Interface and security

Dropbox Folders Interface and security

Liling0921
New member | Level 2

Hi Smart Team, 

I am a new user of Dropbox and have some concerns on data storage on my Dropbox cloud folders.  When I uploaded my albums to the Dropbox, I found the Dropbox share folder auto created on my PC folder and I was able to direct access to all files and data stored in the cloud folders under my Dropbox account.  In this case, if my personal computer could be attacked by the hackers, is that means all my files and data stored in the cloud folders would be explored to data privacy risks.  Can I imposed any security measure on my cloud folders in order to prevent any unauthorized access ?  (e.g.  password authenticated setting on the cloud folders of Dropbox & etc)  Please kindly advise and thank you.    

1 Reply 1

Re: Dropbox Folders Interface and security

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Liling0921, thanks for posting today!

Unfortunately, it's not possible to password protect Dropbox, or any of the folders inside. This is because Dropbox is not a network drive and the Dropbox software has no control over access to the folder.

The Dropbox folder is just a normal folder and is no more or less secure than every other folder on your computer.

We recommend that you follow good security practices to protect your entire computer. It's a good idea to require a password to log in to your account, and to resume from sleep, screen savers and lock screens. You can also log off the Dropbox site each time you use it to secure your online account.

If you need any more details, feel free to message back!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?