cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Full but I've deleted almost everything?

Dropbox Full but I've deleted almost everything?

Explorer | Level 3

My dropbox is saying that it is full although I have hardly anything there and have deleted almost everything?  I must be missing something as I have spent ages trying to figure this out and it doesn't make sense! Please help! 

Thanks
Claire 

4 Replies 4

Re: Dropbox Full but I've deleted almost everything?

Dropboxer

Hey, Claire ( @CPC ), welcome to the Dropbox Community

Well, in many cases, the culprit is a shared folder or file. Shared content takes up space in all users’ accounts that have accepted the share. 

Have a look at your account online, and check your Plan page in your settings. This will show you a breakdown of your account’s space usage. 

If you can, go ahead and include a screenshot of that in your reply, and we’ll go from there! 

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you @Sanchez

I have checked the plan page and I can't see where I can see the breakdown of the files and the size of them. It is just showing me a total.  When I check the shared folder, it looks like there is just one item in there that is 3mb?Screenshot 2020-12-30 at 17.14.36.pngScreenshot 2020-12-30 at 17.15.22.png

Dropboxer

Indeed, the files taking up your space seem to be standard files, not shared. 

Without showing any personal or sensitive info, can you send me a screenshot of your “All files” page?

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Super Collaborator | Level 20

@CPC wrote:

My dropbox is saying that it is full although I have hardly anything there and have deleted almost everything? ...

Hi @CPC,

You mention almost everything has been deleted, BUT you didn't clarify where! Did you mean locally? Take in mind that while you are in overquota state, your changes locally are not sync to your cloud account! That's it - like paragraph 22. 😃 You are removing them, but they don't want to move anywhere.

You have to remove files using the web interface, not locally! Any local changes (including deletions) will be on hold until you get out of overquota. Take this in mind too!

Hope this helps.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?