cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Keeps Moving Back to the C Drive

Dropbox Keeps Moving Back to the C Drive

fivetwentyseven
New member | Level 2

I have two internal hard drives in my desktop, C and E. No matter how many times I install Dropbox and point it to the E drive during the set up, eventually I find that my files aren't syncing to the rest of the team and then see that it's because Dropbox has moved itself to the C drive and made a new folder. I then uninstall, rename the Dropbox folder on E (Dropbox_Old), reinstall the program, choose the E drive in advanced settings, and let it get started. I stop syncing, swap the newly created folder for the existing one, and let Dropbox re-index all my files. Then things are working properly, in the right location, and syncing for a few weeks before it happens all over again. Why won't the program just keep working out of the folder I set it to on the E drive? I don't understand why it randomly creates a new folder on C and hops over. The E drive is an internal, SATA drive, it's not an external USB that could become disconnected. Even so, I have other computers using Dropbox on external USB drives and when they are disconnected, I get an error in Dropbox allowing me to correct the issue, but Dropbox never just creates a new folder on its own and starts syncing to the wrong place. 

3 Replies 3

Re: Dropbox Keeps Moving Back to the C Drive

Walter
Dropboxer
Hello there @fivetwentyseven; welcome to our Community!

I'm not sure how this might happen, but you could try an advanced reinstall if you notice this behavior again. 

Let me know how you get on!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

fivetwentyseven
New member | Level 2

Thanks for the response, Walter. I have done this a few times and still have the issue happening once a month or so. I'm genuinely out of ideas at this point. 

Walter
Dropboxer

If it's twice per month, it may be related with the app's version updates @fivetwentyseven.

Can you send me the version of the desktop app you're noticing this on at the moment? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?