cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Linux (Debian) and file permissions.

Dropbox Linux (Debian) and file permissions.

richieHH
Explorer | Level 4

I have a situation that I need help with. Why is Dropbox changing file attributes? Any file I mark as "read only" is toggled back to write-enabled.

Now, I can understand that dropbox needs write permission to sync files but this should be done as admin rights maintaining the same user.  In my cases, I auto-generate my linux init files (.bashrc, .profile etc) from an org file and I need to make these files readonly so I don't edit them directly. They reside in dropbox as they are used on multiple machines. When I edit the master init file repo and export the init files, they are indeed 0444 for a second or two then switch back to 0644. This is very bad!

Screenshot from 2020-08-15 09-27-58.png

5 Replies 5

Re: Dropbox Linux (Debian) and file permissions.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @richieHH, thanks for checking in with us. 

It looks like our desktop app is making sure that the folders and files in your Dropbox folder maintain consistent permissions throughout your account.

This means that you may see that custom folder icons and permissions are removed.

If you don't want a file to sync to the website or any other connected device, you can set it to be ignored. 

You can find more information about this, here

I hope this helps to some extent, but let me know if you have any other questions. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

richieHH
Explorer | Level 4
This doesn't help at all. Dropbox should not be modifying read only files to writable. If it's the case that Dropbox is incapable of copying the original user attributes on a file this is a serious shortcoming. I understand it runs as user but I would think that it could temporarily override the readonly and replace and reapply.

Dropbox should never ever alter a file's attributes.

Better it simply does nothing if it can't sync a readonly file.

antortjim
New member | Level 2

I am having a similar issue with files being produced by a process managed with the root user. The resulting files are placed in the Dropbox folder. When I open the folder with Nautilus, I see the files looping every 2-3 seconds between the green tick (sync complete), the blue syncing arrows (sync undergoing) and a lock icon (not owned by the non root user). Also sometimes I see the red cross (sync failure).  What is the solution? I don't want to change the ownership of the files because it's a way to protect them from the non root users in the system...

antortjim
New member | Level 2

I am just realizing now this might be due to some other process that keeps changing the modification time of the file (even though the content stays the same). This is enough to trigger the Dropbox daemon (which is ok), so probably is not a Dropbox issue in my case

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

@antortjim wrote:

... I don't want to change the ownership of the files because it's a way to protect them from the non root users in the system...

Hi @antortjim,

Hmm... interesting! 🤔 Dropbox application works as a regular user actually. Ahh... 👆 You want to protect your files from Dropbox. 😃😁 Seems you have succeed.

Congratulations! 😉

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Super Collaborator | Level 20
    antortjim New member | Level 2
    richieHH Explorer | Level 4
    Lusil Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?