cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Mac Backup- Use same folder for 2 different Macs

Highlighted

Dropbox Mac Backup- Use same folder for 2 different Macs

Explorer | Level 4

Hey guys, 

I recently got a new Mac. I have all my Documents, Downloads, and Desktop files on my old Mac backed up to Dropbox via the new Mac sync feature introduced earlier this year. 

With my new Mac, I want it to also have the Documents, Downloads, and Desktop files backed up to Dropbox, but I want them to be the same files as my old Mac, if that makes sense. In other words, I want the files on my new Mac that get changed to also sync to the old Mac under the same "My Mac" folder so that both computers are seen as just 1 computer by dropbox. 

How can I go about doing this? Thanks in advance for the help. 

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox Mac Backup- Use same folder for 2 different Macs

Dropboxer

Hi there @TXMedStudent, I hope you're having a good start to your week!

Syncing two devices to the same backup folder isn't currently possible with the backup feature I'm afraid.

A workaround that I could suggest would be to set up the backup feature on the new device, and then simply move the content from the older backup folder to the new one.

Let me know if that does the trick!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?