Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox + Mac Catalina = Beachballing

brunomp
Helpful | Level 6

Hi. I was having several issues with constant beachballing on mac (the thing that shows up when loading a file). Upon searching for a solution, I found this:

https://tidbits.com/2018/03/26/freezing-finder-dropbox-and-overstuffed-folders-may-be-the-culprit/

I've tried disabling the Accessibility and quitting Dropbox, but the beachballing still continued.

So I even re-installed the whole system to clean anything up and presto, all seemed well and good…

…until I reinstalled Dropbox.

Beachball again.

Just turning it off doesn't do the trick… but when I once again completely removed it and all its option, guess what—no more beachballing.

I have a 80% full, ~18Gb, and quite a lot of files inside there. So maybe that's the issue.

I'll try cleaning it up and see if it happens.

But for now, I'm 100% sure Dropbox is causing beachballing on my system.

Hopefully with less files that won't happen.

Let's see.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropbox + Mac Catalina = Beachballing

earlyretirement
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Ryo,

The beachballing doesn't stop no matter if I try what you wrote.  I have finally given up on Dropbox on my imac running Catalina.  It's crazy as it has worked for years on my Macbook.  

Every time I install Dropbox that is the only time when my iMac halts and beach balls all the time.  Without installing it, it's super fast.  I just have gone through 3 complete system restores.   My computer works perfect when Dropbox is NOT installed so it definitely has to be my Dropbox causing the issues.  

View solution in original post

29 Replies 29

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hello @brunomp.

Thanks for posting about this. 

I understand that the number of files as you mentioned might be slowing things down. In general the performance of Dropbox can decline if you have more than 300,000 files

Please try using selective sync or Smart Sync and let us know if it makes a difference with this issue. 

If not, I'll be happy to help you more with this. 

Thank you! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

brunomp
Helpful | Level 6

I don't think I have that many files. And still I can CLEARLY see a huge difference in performance on my Mac.

Example: when Dropbox is installed and I try opening up an image, I get beachballed before I can do anything. It's a 1-2secs delay.

When it's NOT installed, it's just instantaneous. I open the image, and I can immeditely work with it.

It's a BRUTAL and annoying difference all around.

So I don't even want to risk having just a few files because it might be hindering my laptop's performance.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

If the syncing process slows down other apps, you should limit the bandwidth Dropbox uses. 

Here are the steps to adjust your bandwidth. 

This will slow down your syncing process but it will help the rest of the processes running at the same time. 

I hope this helps! 

Fiona

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

brunomp
Helpful | Level 6

I think you're misunderstanding something:

It's NOT a sync issue. Even when ALL files are already synced… and even when dropbox is completetly turned off BUT still installed… I'll get those freezes.

So instead of having ME limiting bandwith, what about fixing Dropbox's bug in the first place?

It's clearly a bug, and not a sync issue.

David K.124
Helpful | Level 6

@Fiona You say that Dropbox slows down with more than 300,000 files. I'm paying for Dropbox Plus, which gives me 2 TB of cloud storage. Dropbox Pro provides 3 TB of storage. But what's the point if Dropbox is going to slow down if you have too many files? Maybe they should fix Dropbox so it doesn't slow down.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Allow me to clarify I am referring to the performance of the desktop app specifically. 

You can have more than 300.000 online with no problem. For your desktop app to operate as expected you need to use selective sync as discussed. 

Hope this clarifies things. Feel free to ask more questions or add more feedback about this.

Thanks!

Fiona

brunomp
Helpful | Level 6

Your ability to deflect questions as "just do this to fix your problem" amazes me.

Have you considered working in politics?

AGAIN: I do not have nowhere NEAR that many files. And even when Dropbox is OFF, I still got the issues.

So, please, stop saying "limit bandwith" and "selective sync" as possible solutions, because they are not.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I understand your frustration and I'm still here to help. 

What do you mean you are "still facing issues when Dropbox is Off"?

If you have issues when Dropbox is not operating, my best advice is to have your device checked by a professional. 

You can learn how to check your hard disk for errors here.

Fiona

Highlighted

brunomp
Helpful | Level 6

LOL

It means that however Dropbox gets intalled, it hinders my system's performance.

There is some kind of check somewhere, even when Dropbox is off, which makes my system lag.

I've tested multiple times: as soon as I install Dropbox, my mac lags.

So yeah… I'll get a professional… and send your way to fix your app, not my system.

Without Dropbox it has been a smoth sailing ever since.

I've been trying to let you know that there's something wrong with the app so you could maybe try fixing it.

But it seems you don't want to do that.

Easier to just point fingers and ask me to get a "professional" to fix my system, right?

🤷🏼‍♂️

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?