cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox (Personal) now inside Dropbox after disconnect from a business account

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Last week, I was disconnected from a Dropbox Business account.

Previously, I had a Dropbox (Personal) folder and a Dropbox (Business Name) folder on my MacBook.

With the disconnection—which I wasn't told about, so I was unable to "unlink" or "disconnect" the two accounts—I attempted to return to just a Dropbox folder for my personal account, instead of Dropbox (Personal), by removing and reinstalling Dropbox.

I now have a Dropbox folder and, inside of that, a Dropbox (Personal) folder on my laptop. It seems that Dropbox believes that the Dropbox (Personal) folder is still correct and "in sync" while the higher-level Dropbox folder now thinks 130k+ files need to be synced.

I've looked through the settings on the local app, the settings on dropbox.com, and the community to solve this in some way, but to no avail.

I believe I'm now on the path to resolving this by reinstalling Dropbox to a new folder altogether and then manually reconciling recently changed files from the former and now relocated Dropbox (Personal) folder.

But all in all, it's not been a good experience to be removed from a business account and have that seemingly break my personal account.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox (Personal) now inside Dropbox after disconnect from a business account

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Originally, I did this...

1. Uninstall Dropbox
  2. Renamed local folder Dropbox (Personal) to just Dropbox
  3. During the installation process, it unlinked / relinked my account
  4. Reinstalled Dropbox, pointing it to default of /Users/my_username on my MacBook and expecting it to see the renamed Dropbox folder

That resulted in /Users/my_username/Dropbox appearing with all my local files, but inside Dropbox was the folder Dropbox (Personal) with replica of all the same files from the cloud. And Dropbox began working furiously to sync these two copies of everything, so I turned syncing off.

Then various settings searches locally and on dropbox.com ensued. Discussions were read. Google searches done. Etc.

What eventually worked was...

1. Uninstall Dropbox
  2. Renamed local folder Dropbox (Personal) to Dropbox (old)
  4. Reinstalled Dropbox, pointing it to default of /Users/my_username on my MacBook

This set up an empty Dropbox folder which I then let sync to the cloud. I then manually reviewed recent local files in Dropbox (old) to move over new stuff that hadn't made it to the Dropbox cloud (since the work disconnection and disruption last week) *or* that had been updated since then. This was a little tricky, as all the folders in the new Dropbox folder had creation dates of the install date/time. Fortunately, there wasn't much to move over to get things back in place (so far).

For now, I'm operating from the new Dropbox folder, but I'm keeping Dropbox (old) around for a month or two in case I discover something missing. Most of the files in Dropbox (old) are empty anyway, as I'm pretty aggresive with storing things primarily in the cloud, and I only have a couple folders that I mark as local all the time via selective sync.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox (Personal) now inside Dropbox after disconnect from a business account

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hello @mcoble, thanks for reaching out to us here!

First of all, I'm very sorry to hear about your experience with this, but I'm glad to hear that you're on the path to rectify what happened there.

Just so I have a little more detail for your feedback on this, when you reinstalled the Dropbox app on your computer did you choose a specific location? Or did you just install the app in the default location?

It does indeed sound a little strange what happened there so it would be great if you could just clarify that for me.

Let me know - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Originally, I did this...

1. Uninstall Dropbox
  2. Renamed local folder Dropbox (Personal) to just Dropbox
  4. Reinstalled Dropbox, pointing it to default of /Users/my_username on my MacBook and expecting it to see the renamed Dropbox folder

That resulted in /Users/my_username/Dropbox appearing with all my local files, but inside Dropbox was the folder Dropbox (Personal) with replica of all the same files from the cloud. And Dropbox began working furiously to sync these two copies of everything, so I turned syncing off.

Then various settings searches locally and on dropbox.com ensued. Discussions were read. Google searches done. Etc.

What eventually worked was...

1. Uninstall Dropbox
  2. Renamed local folder Dropbox (Personal) to Dropbox (old)
  4. Reinstalled Dropbox, pointing it to default of /Users/my_username on my MacBook

This set up an empty Dropbox folder which I then let sync to the cloud. I then manually reviewed recent local files in Dropbox (old) to move over new stuff that hadn't made it to the Dropbox cloud (since the work disconnection and disruption last week) *or* that had been updated since then. This was a little tricky, as all the folders in the new Dropbox folder had creation dates of the install date/time. Fortunately, there wasn't much to move over to get things back in place (so far).

For now, I'm operating from the new Dropbox folder, but I'm keeping Dropbox (old) around for a month or two in case I discover something missing. Most of the files in Dropbox (old) are empty anyway, as I'm pretty aggresive with storing things primarily in the cloud, and I only have a couple folders that I mark as local all the time via selective sync.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @mcoble!

From what you've mentioned, it does sound very strange what happened there the first time that you reinstalled the Dropbox folder. It wouldn't be expected for that to happen indeed.

Thank you for taking the time to provide so much detail on this for us here on the Community, I'm sure that this info will be helpful for anyone else who might be having a similar issue.

If there's anything else that I can help with, please don't hesitate to get back to me here as I'd be happy to help out.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your week!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?