cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Problem with Preview Pane in Windows 10 Explorer.

Dropbox Problem with Preview Pane in Windows 10 Explorer.

Conkerah
Explorer | Level 4

Just wondering if anyone has encountered a strange problem, the issue is when in MS Windows Explorer > Navigating to Dropbox Folders and having Windows Preview Pane opened in Windows Explorer. The file shows up on the preview pan, but once you click away or continue to the next file then go back to the previous file the preview pane doesn't show a preview no longer.

The work around ive found was to right click on the file and set to online - only in which case it allows for 1 preview pane viewing then it no longer works until i do it again. 

Is there a better solution to this issue? 

37 Replies 37

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Hey @Conkerah, thanks for posting today! 

Would you mind sending me a couple of screenshots re-creating the behavior you mentioned? 

Also, what version of the app do you have installed, and what's your syncing status

Keep me posted.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Conkerah
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Lori 

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I apologize for not responding as quick.

Basically the problem is when using Dropbox from Microsoft Explorer with Preview Pane. When first looking at a file (*.docx or *.pdf) it shows the preview of the file on the preview pane however if i click away or move onto another file and then move back to the previous file it no longer shows the preview on the preview pane. This is a problem as before using Dropbox they were able to see the files in the preview pane. 

Ive tried replicating the problem on my end with success same thing happens preview doesn't show. We are using the same version of Dropbox 127.3.4263 running Windows 10 20h2. Ive tried running files from online and local and ive had slightly more success with running local but doesn't always work. 

Any ideas will be helpful.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Happy Friday @Conkerah

It seems you're using the Beta version of our Dropbox desktop application. 

Let's try something: 

Go into your account settings on the Dropbox website and turn Early releases off. After that, install one of the stable builds of the Dropbox application. 

Does the same behavior happen? If yes, I'd love to see some screenshots so I can have a visual on my end. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Conkerah
Explorer | Level 4

Good Afternoon

Thanks for the reply. Ive now uninstalled that version and ive installed the latest stable version i could find.

Which is Version 126.4.4618. Ive also attached a screenshot of the problem.

Dropbox is currently set to Local Only. If you look on the file; the icon to the left has a green tick. When that occurs the file no longer shows the preview. Only when that icon shows 2 grey arrows in a circle is only when im able to see the preview on the preview pane. Once its clicked and i see the preview then click away. i can no longer see the preview unless i right click the file and make it a "online - only" 

Dropbox screenshot.jpg

Its super annoying....

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Thank you so much for the screenshots @Conkerah!

Out of curiosity, could you please temporarily quit the Dropbox desktop app and see if the thumbnails change? 

• Go to the Dropbox icon in your system tray.
  • Click on your profile picture or initials to the right of the search bar.
  • Select "Quit Dropbox".

Let me know what you find!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Conkerah
Explorer | Level 4

Good morning;

i quit dropbox as requested and it came up with a grey 'X' and in the file previewer it comes up with 'This file cannot be previewed because of an error in the MS Word Previewer' 

im guessing its tied to Dropbox services? 

regards

Paolo

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Since the thumbnails didn't change after you closed the desktop app, it's possible that they're being influenced by third-party software.

Also, Dropbox isn't running, and the files are still not able to preview, which shows that it's not essentially our app that affects them. 

Right here, I'm going to link my colleague @Jay's reply, which will give you an insight as to what might be causing the grey Xs. 

Feel free to have a look.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

notfrayed
New member | Level 2

If all else fails, I had the same issue and eventually found OneDrive had something to do with this. Deleted OneDrive, problem solved!

Ed E.1
Explorer | Level 3

I am experiencing the same issue as that described by this user. I have not tried uninstalling or disabling One Drive; and I question that that is a solution. I would like to hear back from you, as it is a real pain -- and I believe some Dropbox issue. P.S., the same files in One Drive show up repeatedly in the preview window!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    christophertaylor New member | Level 2
    CouruDavance Explorer | Level 3
    DixbiX New member | Level 2
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?