cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Smartsync & Screenflow - cautionary tale

Dropbox Smartsync & Screenflow - cautionary tale

Helpful | Level 6

Greetings Dropbox Community,

I discovered... the very hard way - that Smartsync & Screenflow are not happily integrated or functional. And there should be code red warnings about this!  I am not here to blame either Dropbox or Screenflow - both excellent companies but this is something you guys at the top should sort out!

1/ I have recently started using Screenflow and after a few trial projects I began  editing an hour long DVD ended up with a Screenflow Document on my Desktop which was.. 39Gigs.  I exported the finished mpeg ( about 250mb) but upon discovering that the Screenflow project ( edits and original material and all) amount to 39gig I created a Screenflow folder on Dropbox, took ages to sync that overnight and then converted it via  Smartsync to Online Only.

2/ Thinking then to backup my Computer to it's usual backup hard drive,  I investigated whether Time Machine backs up Online Only files and discovering that it doesnt  - I then dragged the Screenflow Folder ( with several Smartsync'd Screenflow projects back onto my desktop)...in anticipation of backing it up to Hard Drive External.

3/ This action completely ruined and corrupted the entire folder and make all the Screenflow projects unusable.  - and about 8  hours of Screenflow editing and source contents in those folders. 

4/ Dropbox is 'stuck' with the symbol greyed out and the black circle with X

... I guess I should have backed up the Screenflow projects first to hardrive... :(

Any comments or suggestions welcome!

1 Reply 1

Re: Dropbox Smartsync & Screenflow - cautionary tale

Dropboxer

Hi @Adam G.18; how are you today?

Since there are various reasons for syncing to get stuck, could you please send me a screenshot of the exact status of the desktop app as shown within your menu bar

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there, Adam. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?