cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Synch Mac

Dropbox Synch Mac

jland
New member | Level 2

Hi all,

I recently started using the Dropbox Synch option on my macbook. Somehow all my data including the folders (Documents, Desktop, Downloads) disappeared on my Macbook. I can't access them and all my data seems to be lost (!!!). I don't know how it happened it seems to be related to me pausing the synchronisation (?!?). I know started the synchronization again and it is adding tons of data to my dropbox (initially i did not want to synchronize my whole macbook). After a while Dropbox told me it is running out of space so I had no other option to by more space (I now have a Dropbox Plus Abo which I actually never wanted). It is still updloading (estimated 2 days!).

How is the dropbox related to my folders disappearing? Why can that be the case? How can I restore the data?

I wanted to contact the dropbox support but I can't find neither a phonenumber nor an e-mail adress (which is ridiculous). I hoped with the Dropbox Plus I will at least have the option for some support.

The data are essential and I am more than upset with them disappearing from my computer.

Best jland

4 Replies 4

Re: Dropbox Synch Mac

jland
New member | Level 2

Update:

I can see my files in the directory /Users/myuser/Dropbox/mymac (my MacBook Pro). There I have the three folders (documents, downloads, desktop). However, they are all tagged with the "synch" symbol. I can view the files and even open them but I can't copy them somewhere else. Do I have to wait until everything is synched?

Best jland

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

@jland wrote:

I can see my files in the directory /Users/myuser/Dropbox/mymac (my MacBook Pro). There I have the three folders (documents, downloads, desktop). ...

Hi @jland,

That seems to be couple of issues affecting you. Take a look here for possible one step solution (or few steps, at least). 😉 Let's hope this will work for you.

For more deep discussion what's Dropbox and how it works, take a look here. 🙂 Awareness of details could prevent further complications.

Hope this helps.

jland
New member | Level 2

Thank you for your help! it worked 🙂

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @jland, happy to see your issue is resolved! 

If you need anything else, don't hesitate coming back to us!

Cheers!

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lori Dropboxer
    jland New member | Level 2
    Здравко Super Collaborator | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?