cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Vault: Cannot move items into Vault

Dropbox Vault: Cannot move items into Vault

Explorer | Level 3

Trying to "Add" a folder from Dropbox into Vault. Get the following message: " couldn't move 1 item".

The folder is not shared.

Am I doing something wrong? I am trying to move a large folder - is there a size limit?  

6 Replies 6

Re: Dropbox Vault: Cannot move items into Vault

Dropboxer

Hi @nonestfactum; welcome to our Community!

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with moving a folder of yours into your Vault; may I ask for a screenshot of the exact error you get so I can have a better look into this?

This could be related to the folder's size or number of files it contains so if you could provide me with that piece of information, I'd appreciate it a bunch.

In that case, you should be able to walk-around this issue with moving this folder's content in smaller batches of files to the Vault.

Keep me posted anyhow. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

I'm having the same problem. Was already successful in moving a bunch of large folders simultaneously, but then tried to add some more and I keep getting the same error message "Couldn't move x items".  Tried 3 folders at once, then tried one at a time - still the same problem.

Dropboxer

Thanks for joining the topic here @85urquattro!

Could you try the following to see if there's any difference in the behaviour?

• Clear your browser's cache and try move the files again
  • Use an incognito/private browsing window
  • Use another web browser

If the error persists, please send along a screenshot (excluding any personal info) of the error.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

In my case, the problem occurred because the folders I was trying to move to the vault contained 2 shared folders. The reason moving to the vault failed was because the shared folder icon (two little people icon) remained even after unsharing the folder. I removed the shared folder icon by taking the following steps: 

1. Right-click the shared folder.
  2. Click Share…
  3. Click the settings icon (gear icon).
  4. Click Unshare folder.
  5. Click Unshare.

This removed the shared folder icon and then the folders moved over to the vault without a problem.

Good luck!

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks! Each of my folders that wouldn't move had a nested shared folder - unsharing did the trick!

Dropboxer

Thanks for the update. @85urquattro. If you need nay further assistance, please let us know.

Enjoy the rest of your week!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?