cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Video Previews Consistently Broken

Dropbox Video Previews Consistently Broken

Explorer | Level 3

No matter what I do on desktop browser or phone or ipad app, Dropbox provides video previews which constantly freeze frames, stutter and have terrible bitrate or artifacting problems.

This is not even to mention the fact the max preview resolution is still limited to 720p (which is very low compared to the standards of other storage providers)

When I send clients an h264 video file to preview it's not uncommon for me to receive feedback that there are errors in my videos that turn out to be dropbox preview issues. It's not always possible or desirable for clients to download initial drafts of videos just to give basic feedback and this is frustrating on many levels. I've had to resort to uploading high-quality previews elsewhere to avoid this.

The files I'm using are very standard 10-15mbps h.264 files and I don't understand why this is happening given the wide and well implemented support for this elsewhere?

Is there anything I can do to remedy this or am I stuck with it until Dropbox upgrades their transcoding / player functionality?

Thanks all

1 Reply 1

Re: Dropbox Video Previews Consistently Broken

Super User

Hey, sorry about the frustration.

Not sure if this helps, but what I do now (since DB Transfer came out) is simply transfer all video files to clients. I get notified when they download, I can set expiry dates, passwords etc. You need a paid account to send files over 100MB, but it works great and I never share links to videos anymore.

Luke

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?