cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox Won't Let Me Delete Files

Dropbox Won't Let Me Delete Files

AKJonathanHolmes
New member | Level 2

Recently, I have not been able to delete files from my Dropbox account, either on my Desktop or mobile devices. When I delete a file, it will pop right back up as if it had never been deleted. Help?

2 Replies 2

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey @AKJonathanHolmes; welcome to our Community and sorry to hear you're having issues with deleting files from your account. 

Could you check a sample file's version history to see if it's being added back to your account by a linked device of yours or a 3rd party app (or person if this regards shared files or folders) somehow?

If you check the previous versions of the file and see that it was accessed from an application on another computer, you can delete it off of that computer to stop it from reappearing in your Dropbox.

Let me know if this helps! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

AKJonathanHolmes
New member | Level 2

Walter, thanks for the reply. Not sure if I know how to check that, but I did recently get a new computer. Do I need to uninstall Dropbox on my old laptop in order for my new laptop to have authorization to delete files?

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Need more support?