cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox account trying to scam me into buying more space when I have NOTHING in my account.

Dropbox account trying to scam me into buying more space when I have NOTHING in my account.

saucestache
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am trying to upload to a shared file. I have 1 folder in my account that was shared TO ME... I dont own the folder... its not my folder, and the stuff that is uploaded to it is not from my account. 
BUT dropbox is stating that my account is full

There is NOTHING in my account. 
Is there anything I can do to USE dropbox or does dropbox make everyone get extra storage for shared accounts? 
Like if I upload 10gb to a file and share it with a friend that friend now also loses 10gb. How does that make any sense what so ever? 
DB is double dipping. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @saucestache and @kalvin291, thanks for posting. 

Like @Mark suggested, since shared folders take up space in all members' accounts, you can add some extra space to your accounts using the link he provided.

Another thing you could do is have the person that shared the folder with you, send you a file request instead, so that you can send them files. 

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

kalvin291
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Also trying to get more space without having to upgrade and pay for the plus account. Stuck at 2gb when all I need is minimum 6gb in order to open up a shared folder. As of right now I can even open up my folder because I dont have enough space. 

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Its not trying to scam you @saucestache thats how Dropbox works. Anything in your account needs your space. 

www.dropbox.com/gs may get more space, but, thats how Dropbox works and always has

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @saucestache and @kalvin291, thanks for posting. 

Like @Mark suggested, since shared folders take up space in all members' accounts, you can add some extra space to your accounts using the link he provided.

Another thing you could do is have the person that shared the folder with you, send you a file request instead, so that you can send them files. 

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Mark Super User II
    kalvin291 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?