cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox added my entire PC/desktop to a Folder restricting my access

Dropbox added my entire PC/desktop to a Folder restricting my access

Kiwi Jim in the UK
Explorer | Level 3

Hi all...

I'm in desperate need of some help. 

I am using parallels on my MacBook to provide both Windows PC & Apple OS.  Last night I upgraded my free account to an additional 250MB but in doing so Dropbox has now sync'd my entire Windows OS into a MacFiles folder on my Windows PC desktop (including removing all my Windows OS desktop shortcuts/file).

Now I can only access my files on my Windows PC through the sole 'MacFiles Folder' and it is saying I may not have access to these files...

I have no idea how to reverse this process so that I get the normal access to my Windows PC and Windows PC desktop files/shortcuts.

13 Replies 13

Re: Dropbox added my entire PC/desktop to a Folder restricting my access

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey there @Kiwi Jim in the UK, thanks for reaching out to us here!

It sounds like the computer backup feature was enabled from the desktop app on one of the profiles.

To make sure we know which one this is, can you sign into your Dropbox account online, and check for a "My Mac" or "My PC" folder, and let me know which you find?

This will let us know which system you can then disable the computer backup from, with the steps outlined towards the bottom of this article.

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Kiwi Jim in the UK
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Daphne, 

Apologies for not getting back to you earlier...  the notification email went into my spam folder.

The folder is "My Mac (Jims-MBP.lan)"...

Cheers, Jim

Kiwi Jim in the UK
Explorer | Level 3

Daphne, 

I followed the instructions on the link you provided as follows:

To turn off computer backup:

1. Open your Dropbox desktop app preferences.
  2. Click the Backups tab.
  3. Click Manage backup
  4. Uncheck the folders you’d like to stop backing up to Dropbox or uncheck My Mac/My PC to turn off backup for all folders at once. 
  5. Click Save.
  6. I chose Keep content in folders on this PC/Mac.
    • If you choose Keep content in folders on this PC/Mac, the files and folders you stopped backing up can be found in their original folders on your computer. 
  7. Click Stop backup.

At this point it said that I syncing is paused (couldn't stop backup); as shown below... (I had paused the syncing when I realised what was happening).  Should I resume syncing then then repeat the process to turn off the computer backup?

Screenshot 2021-04-01 at 11.58.32.png

Cheers, Jimbo

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey @Kiwi Jim in the UK, just as you proposed, I'd also recommend resuming syncing and then disabling the backup once more. 

Give it a try and give us a nudge with any updates, thanks!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Kiwi Jim in the UK
Explorer | Level 3

Lusil, 

I resumed the syncing then stopped the backup. 

My Windows OS rebooted & all the files are back where they were... thanks very much!  I'm extremely relieved. 

As a minor point, I know have the 'Mac Files' icon on my PC desktop.  

Screenshot 2021-04-01 at 12.15.28.png

Is there any way I can remove this icon that won't delete everything in it or the files in Dropbox?  I still have the 'Dropbox on Mac (W:) as shown below....

Screenshot 2021-04-01 at 12.20.32.png

Cheers, Jimbo

Kiwi Jim in the UK
Explorer | Level 3

Hey Lusil, 

I just saw your reply.  I went into Dropbox>Preferences>Backups and it said setup & not manage so it is definitely turned off...

Cheers, Jimbo

Kiwi Jim in the UK
Explorer | Level 3

Apologies, Lusil... not Daphne 😉

Lusil
Dropboxer

Awesome work, @Kiwi Jim in the UK!

The "Mac Files" folder doesn't seem to be a part of your Dropbox folder, as it's not syncing and it is outside of the desktop app. 

Are you able to move the items back to their original location?

PS. No worries, I jumped in on the conversation a bit too excitedly myself. 😅

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Kiwi Jim in the UK
Explorer | Level 3

Lusil, 

The list of folders/files in both the 'Dropbox on Mac (W:)' & 'Mac Files' are exactly the same.

Is the 'Mac Files' folder then just another link/access to the folders/files in the 'Dropbox on Mac (W:)'?.... if so, can I just delete the 'Mac Files' folder without affecting the folders/files in the 'Dropbox on Mac (W:)'?

Cheers, Jim

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?