cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox added my entire PC/desktop to a Folder restricting my access

Re: Dropbox added my entire PC/desktop to a Folder restricting my access

Kiwi Jim in the UK
Explorer | Level 3

Lusil, 

I transferred a copy of the contents of my Dropbox to OneDrive then deleted the 'Mac Files' icon.  This didn't delete the files in Dropbox as you suspected.  Therefore, all the files are back in there correct locations & I have now deleted the 'Mac Files' icon so my issue has been resolved... thanks very much...

As an aside, if I was to backup my computer to Dropbox as I had accidentally done, then if I don't have access to the files offline, I still don't require additional storage & need to upgrade my plan? 

Also if I did this, when would the backup be refreshed?  Every time I logged in online?

Lusil
Dropboxer
I'm glad to hear that you were able to resolve your original concern, @Kiwi Jim in the UK!

So, if you enable computer backup, your computer folders will be added to your Dropbox folder. 

The files will sync like any other item in your desktop app, as long as it's running. 

This will affect your Dropbox account's storage, but won't have much effect on your local space since the files just move from one folder to another. 

If your quota reaches the limit, you might be suggested to increase it. 

You can find more information about how to do that, here.

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Kiwi Jim in the UK
Explorer | Level 3

Ok... thanks Lusil...

Cheers...

Lusil
Dropboxer
No worries, @Kiwi Jim in the UK!

If anything else comes up, you know where to find us, just give us another shout. 

In the meantime, I hope you have a lovely day ahead!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropboxer
    Kiwi Jim in the UK Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?