cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox app stuck at 'checking for update" forever

Dropbox app stuck at 'checking for update" forever

Leonnow100
Helpful | Level 5

Hi there

I just bought a new laptop (windows 10) yesterday and installed Dropbox destop App. It was installed properly, and i selected the folders that i want to sync to the new laptop. But after a few hours, the app is still stuck at "Checking for update, please hold while we make sure everything is up to date". And of course no files have been synced because of this.

Can someone help? I have tried "fix hardline" and " fix permission" according to the previous tickets, but nothing worked. https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-files-folders/My-Dropbox-gets-stuck-indefinitely-indexing-fi...

regards

Leon 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropbox app stuck at 'checking for update" forever

Leonnow100
Helpful | Level 5

This is solved now. I did not do much after all the initial struggle, just leave it for a few days. And i use my new laptop as per normal. After that it finally got out of the "Checking for update" screen and started to sync files. 

I dont know what it was really checking which took a few days, but i hope Dropbox can add a progress bar to at least assure people that it is not stack or hang, but just very long process. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Leonnow100
Helpful | Level 5

Update:

I have tried to sign in to another account i have which is a free basic account. There is hardly any files in it, and the App works fine, i can see files being synced to my laptop.

When switch back to my paid account, the problem happened again. 

So it looks like the App could work on the laptop, but it is related to the account? 

regards

Leon

Leonnow100
Helpful | Level 5

Update 2:

I tried to test on my old laptop where the Dropbox app was working fine with my paid account. 

I Unlinked the old laptop from the settings in Dropbox.com, and re-signin the Dropbox App on my old laptop. The same issue happened now, it also stucked at "checking for updates"

HELP!

Leonnow100
Helpful | Level 5

This is solved now. I did not do much after all the initial struggle, just leave it for a few days. And i use my new laptop as per normal. After that it finally got out of the "Checking for update" screen and started to sync files. 

I dont know what it was really checking which took a few days, but i hope Dropbox can add a progress bar to at least assure people that it is not stack or hang, but just very long process. 

View solution in original post

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?