cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We're back with another cheat sheet to make your 2022 easier than ever! Check out our tips here

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox asks for authentication before sending files to the trash, and interrupts Automator task.

Dropbox asks for authentication before sending files to the trash, and interrupts Automator task.

Gwyddy
Explorer | Level 4

Why is Dropbox for MacOs suddenly asking for user authentication before sending files to the trash? This is interrupting some automated tasks that were running smoothly on the background until now. Is there a way to remove this nuisance?

7 Replies 7

Re: Dropbox asks for authentication before sending files to the trash, and interrupts Automator t...

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @Gwyddy, thanks for reaching out to our Community.

Would you mind replying here with a screenshot of this message, so I can look into it?

Thanks.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Dropbox asks for authentication before sending files to the trash, and interrupts Automator t...

Gwyddy
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, @Hannah. Thanks for your quick reply.

I can post two error messages:

The first one is the one I get when I try to delete a file from the Dropbox file

Captura de pantalla 2021-11-23 a las 23.17.41.png

Although the message is in Spanish,  you can see that the system is asking for my authentication before sending it to the trash.

The second one is the message I get when I run an Automator task on MacOs. The message says that I am not authorized to move the files to the trash.

Captura de pantalla 2021-11-23 a las 23.13.11.png

Any hint for avoiding this?

Thanks again for your help

Hannah
Dropboxer
Not a problem @Gwyddy!

The thing is that these notifications (mostly the first one) appear to be coming from your OS and not Dropbox.

Is this happening only when you move files to Trash from Dropbox? How about files from different folders?

Can you also quit the Dropbox app from the Dropbox icon in your menu bar and try the same thing again, to see if there's a difference with Dropbox closed?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Gwyddy
Explorer | Level 4

Hi.

Yes, the problem appears when I try to delete the file. I have no problem when I try to create or move a file to a new location. But somehow I can't delete existing files without authenticating. And there is no problem when files are sent to the trash from other folders.

It is important to underline that I have enabled reading / writing access to the Dropbox folder

Captura de pantalla 2021-11-25 a las 21.20.08.png

I'm confused because this behavior has only appeared since I last updated some days ago (version v135.4.4221, installed with the default options). I have been performing automated actions within the Dropbox folder for some years now and I had never found these difficulties. I'm also receiving message of syncing problems in the application since then. I have already tried to completely uninstall the program and reinstalling again.

Captura de pantalla 2021-11-25 a las 21.20.42.png

Captura de pantalla 2021-11-25 a las 21.21.57.png

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards

Gwyddy
Explorer | Level 4

Sorry, @Hannah, I forgot to mention you in my previous reply.

Best

Gwyddy
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, @Hannah 

regarding your last question "Can you also quit the Dropbox app from the Dropbox icon in your menu bar and try the same thing again, to see if there's a difference with Dropbox closed?"

Even with the Dropbox app closed, the Dropbox folder still asks me to authenticate before deleting an item (sending to trash).

Thanks

Hannah
Dropboxer
Thanks for the update here, @Gwyddy.

The thing is that if the issue persists when Dropbox is closed, this sounds related to permissions set by your operating system, rather than Dropbox.

Are all the Dropbox files giving you this issue or just some of them? 

And do you see the same now with the new version of the app that's come out? (v136.4.4345)

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropboxer
    Gwyddy Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?