cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox asks for change of permission for main DB folder allowed but comes up again

Dropbox asks for change of permission for main DB folder allowed but comes up again

WL-WS58
Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

Dropbox on my MacBookPro with OS 10.14.6 askes for change of permission for the main local Dropbox folder every time I start the MBP.

Giving permission does not seem to work, cause after restart it pops up again - twice !

What to do ??

Regards WolfgangBildschirmfoto 2021-01-21 um 10.51.06 maskiert.png

5 Replies 5

Re: Dropbox asks for change of permission for main DB folder allowed but comes up again

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey @WL-WS58; welcome to the Community!

I'm sorry to ask, but did you install the desktop app with admin privileges on your computer in the first place?

Let me know what you find!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Dropbox asks for change of permission for main DB folder allowed but comes up again

WL-WS58
Explorer | Level 3

Yes Walter,

the app was/is installed with admin privileges.

I used it for about 3 - 4 years w/o any problems and suddenly this appeared o-)

Wolfgang

Walter
Dropboxer
Thanks for the additional information, Wolfgang.

In that case, can you reinstall the app to see if that helps improve matters?

Otherwise, you may need to perform a clean, advanced reinstall.

Keep me posted on your progress! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

WL-WS58
Explorer | Level 3

Walter,

do I have to save my files and dropbox folder on the MBP somewhere else before reinstallation?

... or doesn't this affect the local dropbox folder !

Regards Wolfgang

Walter
Dropboxer
Actually it does, Wolfgang; nice catch!

Because this process removes the previous preferences and configuration, if you wish to avoid re-downloading your Dropbox content you will need to manually choose the location for Dropbox to sync to. If you don't you'll create a new Dropbox folder and start to download your content again.

To select your established Dropbox folder on your drive, click Advanced Settings after choosing which folders to sync and then choose the parent folder of your already established Dropbox folder.

Just make sure that the app is showing 'Up to date' in your menu bar before going through this process. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?