cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox backup deleting the original files on my backed up PC.

Dropbox backup deleting the original files on my backed up PC.

revik345
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

If this is the way Dropbox backup is going to work I may seek a different solution.  Dropbox didn't just make a backup copy, it removed the files from my PC so that there is not a local copy.  Is there a setting that I haven't found or is it intended to work this way?  Please let me know as this is not an acceptable approach.  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@revik345 wrote:

Dropbox didn't just make a backup copy, it removed the files from my PC so that there is not a local copy.

While the "backup" feature does move your key folders, they're still local. They've just been moved into the Dropbox folder which is still local to your computer and a regular folder like any other.

View solution in original post

23 Replies 23

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@revik345 wrote:

Dropbox didn't just make a backup copy, it removed the files from my PC so that there is not a local copy.

While the "backup" feature does move your key folders, they're still local. They've just been moved into the Dropbox folder which is still local to your computer and a regular folder like any other.

tess e
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

same problem here!  This seems very invasive! I did not approve them to take my files off pc. Now no way to keep them and many are deleted completely.  Seems like a ploy to get us to buy more storage. Should be illegal. 

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

@tess e - you have approved it. There are multiple confirmations you need to go through to say it is going to do it. However, if you are anything like me then you'll often just click 'ok' and 'next'..... I was also burnt on this one! 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

revik345
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Got it, Rich.  I see that now.  I was misled by the fact that several apps stopped working (temporarily) because they did not find files in their normal location.  Thanks for the quick reply. 

tess e
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

But Rich, when you try to replace them into your personal files it still keeps them in a dropbox sync and most of us  don't want all of our personal files in dropbox, That should not have been a dropbox decision! 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@tess e wrote:

... most of us  don't want all of our personal files in dropbox, That should not have been a dropbox decision! 

It wasn't a Dropbox decision. It was your decision when you activated the backup feature.

This feature doesn't get enabled automatically. You either need to go into Dropbox preferences and enable it yourself, or you agreed to it during the installation of the Dropbox application. As @Mark mentions above, if you're just blindly clicking Next or Ok during the install, it's easy to miss if you're not reading the information presented to you.

And again for anyone else that comes to this thread later, the backup option is not taking files off of your computer. It's moving them into the local Dropbox folder so it can sync them to your account. If you don't wish this to happen, don't enable the computer backup features.

tess e
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I didn't approve anything. DB was not working so I uninstalled and reinstalled and suddenly while it was setting up, I got hit with a virus and then all my files started disappearing and the next day my pc files were in dropbox and I was getting a notice I needed to buy more space. (Scam alert!) Many files were suddenly emptied out and missing from my pc. It took everything from my pc and renamed a file to public. Totally freaked me out so I had malwarebytes scan things. I apparently got a worm from DB and still have a serious issue. Missing the past 2 years of important files. The worst is all my recent work is just gone! Some are randomly in DB and some are just gone or moved into new files with DB in front of the file name. I immediately reached out to DB and supposedly someone was going to call me. No one did. Chatted again yesterday and was told someone from support would reach out. NO one has. 

tess e
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I didn't activate anything or agree to anything.  I reinstalled DB because it was acting up and immediately things got weird! 

Tom Thumb
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Basically, They are Highjacking your files and holding them for Ransome - while getting you to upgrade. How is this not illegal !!!!

The same thing happened to me. Then they make it more than difficult enough to get some help to the solution - one that doesn't exist, except purchasing a higher plan! !!!!

Brian

Need more support?