cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox changes AutoPlay settings each time I restart my Windows 10 PC

Dropbox changes AutoPlay settings each time I restart my Windows 10 PC

Bazsl
Explorer | Level 3

I assume due to an update to the dropbox software, I get a prompt to backup any usb device I plug in. To stop this annoyance I have set all AutoPlay settings to Take No Action which stops the prompt. However, each time I turn the PC on Dropbox resets the AutoPlay options to "Backup with Dropbox". How do I stop this? This is so annoying that I will have to abandon Dropbox if I cannot stop this behavior. Thanks for your help.

4 Replies 4

Re: Dropbox changes AutoPlay settings each time I restart my Windows 10 PC

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Bazsl, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

It sounds like you're referring to the external drive backup feature.

You can disable this in the Dropbox desktop application preferences.

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Bazsl
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the reply, Jay. I now have another problem. When I left or right click the Dropbox icon in the tray nothing pops up so I cannot change any settings. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Dropbox and, of course, done a cold reboot and the problem persists. How can I get to the desktop app settings?

Jay
Dropboxer
Clicking the icon should work, so there must be something preventing it from loading correctly. Could you try Ctrl clicking the icon instead?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Bazsl
Explorer | Level 3

Ctrl+Click works. I have unchecked "Show setup notifications when new external drives are plugged in". That seems to have solved my problem. Thanks.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Bazsl Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?