cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox claims a folder shared with me is 2 GB when it is only 6.2 MB

Highlighted

Dropbox claims a folder shared with me is 2 GB when it is only 6.2 MB

Helpful | Level 5

The company I work for has shared a folder with myself and my colleagues. The folder is only 6.2 MB in size however when both myself and my colleague 'Bob' review the folder in our respective, personal Dropbox accounts, we're informed, "2 GB   Not enough space to access folder." 

I can see the folder's size by viewing it on the desktop version of this folder. (All files and folders are fully syncronised and fully downloaded). The folder only contains Dropbox .paper documents, of which all but one are only 75 KB and the outlier only 200 KB. 

What's the problem? Why does Dropbox think this folder is 2 GB? 

Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 3.20.07 PM.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox claims a folder shared with me is 2GB when it is only 6.2 MB

Dropboxer

Apologies in the delay getting back to you here @JBMBTS!

Thanks for the screenshots that you've sent along too, this is very helpful.

It would be very strange for the local and web copies to have such a difference, but there could be a few circumstances where the files in the folder online might not be syncing locally.

Due to that, can you have the sender use these steps to show the size of the folder online and let me know what they find reported there?

A few examples of what could be occurring there would be if any of the files/folders contained incompatible characters, preventing them being synced to their computer. Otherwise, they might have selective sync applied for some of the subfolders.

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hello @JBMBTS, thanks for reaching out to us here!

From what you've mentioned, it sounds like you might have a previous copy of this folder synced to your desktop, or perhaps another shared folder with the same name.

The screenshot that you added there is showing that the folder isn't currently added to your Dropbox account, so it wouldn't be visible within your Files page online or your local Dropbox folder.

Just to check on this, can you let me know if the folder that's synced to your computer is currently shared with other members? From your account online, you can check on the "Members" column if it shows "Only you" or "xyz members".

Let me know what you find!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for your helpful suggestions, Daphne. 

I realise some clarification is required. The folder size information I stated was from the computer from which it was shared, not from the desktop of the recipient computer/s. 

To test your proposition that maybe another folder with the same name (and 2 GB size) was shared with me: 

Action: I had the ‘sharing’ account remove me from the list of people the folder is shared with.

Result: As expected, the shared folder disappeared from the ‘Shared’ folder in my Dropbox account. 

Action: Then the ‘sharing’ account invited me again via the web interface.

Result: As expected, the shared folder showed up in my account but still as 2 GB. This, despite the folder being only 6.2 MB on the ‘sharer’s’ synced and fully downloaded desktop copy of this folder. 

Below are screenshots of:

The sharing account for the folder they have shared from the web interface. 

The freshly shared folder in my Dropbox account, showing 2 GB in size again. 

Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 10.04.19 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-07-30 at 10.29.42 AM.png

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

This issue is not resolved. @Daphne, are you able to help further or escalate this to tech support? I am one of multple users our employer is trying to engage with and we can't view a shared folder that is only 6.2 MB on our personal Dropbox accounts, so this workflow we're trying to set up is dead in the water. 

Help from anyone with experience in this area would be apprecaited. 

Thank you! 

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

The problem is now worse and/or has revealed some major irregularities with how Dropbox regards file and folder sizes. 

After removing the original offer from my account, the sharing account just reissued me the shared folder - currently 1.58 GB - but on my account I am told the shared folder is "4 GB." - This is a lie and because of how these figures scale compared to my original comment, I'm suspecting either deceit or ineptitude.

What better way to get users to upgrade their storage plan than generating FOMO by misrepresenting how much data they have left. 

Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 4.50.44 PM.png

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Apologies in the delay getting back to you here @JBMBTS!

Thanks for the screenshots that you've sent along too, this is very helpful.

It would be very strange for the local and web copies to have such a difference, but there could be a few circumstances where the files in the folder online might not be syncing locally.

Due to that, can you have the sender use these steps to show the size of the folder online and let me know what they find reported there?

A few examples of what could be occurring there would be if any of the files/folders contained incompatible characters, preventing them being synced to their computer. Otherwise, they might have selective sync applied for some of the subfolders.

Keep me posted!

Daphne

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Hi @Daphne

Thank you for your reply and your consistent level-headedness. I on the other hand have seemingly unfairly flipped out (see my last post), because… 

After someone moved the entire company folder heirachy a bit I took the opportunity to look at this issue anew and consequently it is seemingly resolved. At some point one sub-sub-sub-sub folder had been added to this directory after it was shared, which meant it was excluded from the desktop Dropbox folders of any users using 'Selective Sync.' The folder's size is almost exactly the size difference. So it seems - despite my earlier assertsions that it was not - a matter of not all folders being synced. How embarrasing! 

I apologise for the time I've consumed here and hope someone else with my symptoms can learn from this account. 

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?