cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

Highlighted

Re: Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

Helpful | Level 6

Hi,

not sure if this will help somebody, but it seems you can use (free, open source) Rclone ( https://rclone.org/ ) which can "mount" Dropbox as virtual filesystem.

It can't do two-way sync and things like that, but at least it might help in the migration period over to another service.

It can also copy between different cloud services.

I'll use it to access pCloud from my ARM based devices .

Highlighted

Re: Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?

Helpful | Level 6

To anyone who might find this useful, Backblaze B2 + Duplicati is looking pretty promising (and much cheaper) for backup purposes.

If anyone has any good alternative sugesstions for syncing workspace files across linux machines, I would love to hear about it.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

@Josenphd wrote:

I think accounts are going to be cancelled in droves. I hope they do.

Personally, even if Dropbox reverses their decision, I'm planning to cancel anyway. The casual tone and lack of justification coming out of Dropbox while making such an impactful decision is reason enough to leave.

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 9

Of

@RAMChYLD wrote:

Hi,

I'd like to protest this change. I switched to BTRFS for the reason that 1. It's copy-on-write, which means of a power failure happen while a disk activity is ongoing, only the modified file is lost and the original is left intact, and 2. BTRFS offers Filesystem resilience like the above mentioned copy-on-write, plus inbuilt file mirroring abilities and much more. To support only rudimentary file systems that offer zero file protection like EXT4 would be a huge mistake, as at any time, a particular type of failure (file corruption, but then the file gets a newer timestamp due to the corruption!) would trick the client into syncing the corrupted file into the cloud, ruining the backup. 

BTRFS is a superior Filesystem and support should be kept. Additionally, support for XFS (another modern Filesystem which offers similar functionality to BTRFS) should be retained. 

Of course BTRFS shoiuld be supported! It's a modern now widely used file system as far as Linux goes. But we have to be realistic. Only a couple of percents of Dropbox users are on Linux. They know that and will just let us scream until we're tired of it. They have alresdy calculated how many accounts they will lose and are fine with it. That makes it even more annoying.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 7

Dropbox used to be such a friendly company, open in their intentions, and verbose in ther communication to customers and community.  Remmeber the scavenger hunts to earn free space?  Those were fun... when was the last time something like that happened?

It became clear when their changelogs become the generic "we fix some things, enjoy" that my time as a customer was not going to be forever... there have been other times that they've pissed us off, and I've stuck through, knowing the final straw with happen eventually.

It's never good to get too attached to a specific service.  It sucks, but they come and go.  Even if I did not use dropbox on linux (I do less so these days, but that's not important, I still have one laptop that it's vitally important for me to use), this kind of poor customer interaction would cause me to leave.  I've received a refund for my annual service.  Even if they change their mind on how to support linux going forward, I won't be returning as a customer.  They no longer deserve my hard earned cash.

Dan.

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 9

@afroman_drm wrote:

Ok guys, that's it.

As much as I used to love Dropbox, it is clear that they will not support Linux users in the near future. As an longtime user, I spread the word and got a lot of new users for Dropbox, but no more, now I'm going to do the opposite.

In the open market, we -the clients- have the option to leave and choose another service. So I have taken all my files to pCloud and it is working great! Let's hope that closing our accounts should mean something for the management team.

I'm closing my Dropbox account as soon as possible. It was nice while it last.

See you on the other side!

Moving to pCloud as well. Signed up for 2 TB and are moving files there now. I will compare with the inSync/Google Drive solution I have run for a while, but it would be great to get off Google as well. There are som conveninces with Google Drive though. My Android file manager cane directly and Google Photos is very convenient to use.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

It's been a good run with Dropbox but it's clearly time to move on.

I just cancelled my business account with them a few hours ago citing a link to this thread as the reason.

Alternatives aplenty.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Tested other services and only Google Drive fully supports non unicode systems with special chars, didn't like GDrive so I've "converted" my Slackware Linux to Unicode and voilá pCloud works like a charm

Already migrated my data, next steps will be migrate my close family accounts and also the Portuguese Carnivorous Plants Association accounts, so only with me DropBox will lose at least 12 to 14 accounts at once.

This might be my last post, since I will cancel / delete my account in the next couple of days.

Best regards, move on...

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

For companies big enough to have someone who manages a server, as is pretty common nowadays, this is a good chance to switch to ownCloud/Nextcloud on their own server. Your data will be safer and you have full control over what you do.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

KEEP BTRFS SUPPORT..!!!! 

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?