cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?

Highlighted

Re: Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

New member | Level 2
I have a ext4 with LUKS full disk encryption(also LVM), and I still get this message. The hell?
vla8islav@vla8islav-MS-7760:~$ df -Th | grep "^/dev"
/dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-root ext4 223G 178G 34G 85% /
/dev/loop0 squashfs 87M 87M 0 100% /snap/core/4917
/dev/loop1 squashfs 36M 36M 0 100% /snap/telegram-sergiusens/53
/dev/loop3 squashfs 39M 39M 0 100% /snap/telegram-sergiusens/68
/dev/loop2 squashfs 39M 39M 0 100% /snap/telegram-sergiusens/55
/dev/loop4 squashfs 87M 87M 0 100% /snap/core/5145
/dev/loop5 squashfs 87M 87M 0 100% /snap/core/4830
/dev/sda1 ext2 236M 217M 6,5M 98% /boot
Highlighted

Re: Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

Super Collaborator | Level 20
Hi @Vla8islav,
Try to check another grep filter. Use just "home" as such filter. Something like:
df -Th | grep home

The output could give You right direction. (in context of my previous post above)
If the output is empty then You can file a bug report to Dropbox.
Highlighted

Re: Windows client alerts me that it will stop syncing in November

Explorer | Level 4

I couldn't believe that Dropbox would stop supporting things like RedHat Linux's default configuration so I sought some clarification from Dropbox support. The support rep (Ryan, ticket 8270821) merely kept pasting the official document and didn't answer my question, which was "Is the default RedHat configuration supported? (RHEL7)"

This was the first really disappointing support experience I've had with Dropbox since I signed up back in Aug 2011. I was especially irked that I just paid for the next year of "Pro" a week before the "We're going to stop supporting your enterprise Linux environment" E-mail arrived. I guess that gives me plenty of time to evaluate the Open Source option "OwnCloud." :-(

Highlighted

Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov,

New member | Level 2

l have a dropbox in external drive ntfs connect with win7 and linux.

On linux dropbox clien warm me that it'll stop syncing in Now.

What xcan l do?

Highlighted

Re: Windows client alerts me that it will stop syncing in November

Collaborator | Level 8

@sbonds Ask for a refund, and don't delay! They turned down my request for a refund, saying I was outside the "Refund window" but maybe you'll be okay. Don't end up like me - paying Dropbox for 4 months of service that they are not providing. 

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Cuz I think Dropbox just wouldn't care about this thread (it's been 2 weeks since starting this thread), I've finally decided to switch all my files & projects over to pcloud.

Good luck to all who still stay with a company which doesn't want to provide service to you.

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 8
I also moved everything to pCloud. I still have Dropbox laying around because of a couple of shared folders, but I'll try to progressively move more people out of Dropbox so that I can't stop relying upon it entirely. It's funny how Dropbox went from a company I quite liked when compared to the giants (Google, Microsoft, Apple, Facebook, Amazon, etc.) to being just as unreliable... I'm sure that my love affair with pCloud will also eventually end, but so far it was the best option to get some piece of mind about this move by Dropbox.
Highlighted

Enterprise Linux abandoned

New member | Level 2

I got an email that the Dropbox Linux client will require glibc2.19 in October.

This is simply abandoning Linux support for business users.

The largest supported commercial release for Linux is Redhat's RHEL, but only RHEL8 supports glibc2.19 and it's not even out until 2019!

Many Linux users are chained to RHEL6 by their applications, in my case IC design.

Although RHEL7 is available now, RHEL6 will be supported by Redhat until Nov 2020 - the whole point of RHEL is stability.  Most of my vendors won't even get to RHEL7 until sometime in 2020.

So I, and many users who rely on a supported Linux for work are stuck with glibc2.12 until 2020 and glibc2.17 (RHEL7) until 2024.

Dropbox, it's evident that you are jumping the gun on this requirement by many years.

I'm a paying customer, but I won't be much longer.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Well it's been fun dropbox. Without support for ecryptfs (the default ubuntu encryption scheme AFAICT), I will stop using Dropbox and switch to another solution. I'm not going to reformat my hard drive for a single application.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Jay

as i understand this, as of 11/7 i will have to move my dropbox sync folder to an EXT4 formated drive. my question is will the dropbox sync still work on a small partition that is encrypted with LUKS then formatted as EXT4 that is separate from the existing linux installation on my hard drive ? currently my existing home linux filesystem is encrypted as encfs and i don't want to change that until i next upgrade to linux mint 19.

i was able to move the dropbox folder to the new LUKS partition and it seems to be working as of now but come 11/7 i don't know if that will still be true.

thanks

John

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?