cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out how our Community members are using Dropbox here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello

As almost every linux user i am using an unsupported file system, and clearely i wont change for something insecure because dropbox team are telling me to. It is time to move on, i guess its a great 10 years anniversary gift.

Good bye.

Highlighted

Re: Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Yes, it is a bad product management decision from Dropbox. A decision of "simplicity". A good one is based on features, not products. If Dropbox needs to rely on Xattr, fine. So any filesystem with Xattr should be supported. And not only EXT 4.

Bull**bleep**. I quit Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

Helpful | Level 5

Dropbox team, seriously, I'm running default ubuntu installation, on EXT4 filesystem, and today it stopped to sync. There is no way for me to use it anymore. Fix this asap, you can loose your customers.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

This is not acceptable ,  on a day suddenly my hundreds of G of files are no longer synced.  and I do not have  the extra file space to move .  what a disappointment and disaster for some of the users.      

From a  paid pro-version customer

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I'm no longer a paying customer, but I would stop the subscription again if I could.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi everyone,

As a reminder, today, Nov. 7, 2018, we are ending support for the Dropbox folder syncing to drives with certain uncommon file systems. Going forward, the supported file systems are NTFS for Windows, HFS+ or APFS for Mac, and ext4 for Linux. Please note that the Dropbox desktop application will only be able to sync the Dropbox folder on a supported file system, per our system requirements (e.g. on a Linux computer the Dropbox folder will only sync to drive or partition with an ext4 file system). 

We are making these updates to ensure we can continue to deliver new features and improvements while providing a stable, consistent Dropbox experience for our most common customer configurations.

We’ve been monitoring this post closely since this announcement was made. We heard your feedback that we weren’t clear enough about the specific configurations that would and would not be supported, as well as why this change was made. 

As a result, we made some updates:

• We improved our in-app and support team’s messaging to more clearly explain the reason why you may be receiving the notification about this change
  • We added clarification regarding our support for full-disk encryption
  • We updated the requirements in our Help Center article to be more clear and call out the specific needs to ensure you are running a supported setup 

We understand this decision impacts a smaller percentage of users not using the most common file systems across Mac, Windows, and Linux. We’ve been listening to concerns and feedback, and want to ensure any users who wish to switch to a supported system are supported—we’re committed to providing the best cross-platform experience to as many users as possible.

If you need to move the Dropbox folder to a supported file system or need information on how to identify the file system on your computer, please review the following Help Center article:

If you receive a notification, but have your Dropbox folder on one of the supported file systems, you may have recently had a computer linked that was running an unsupported file system which has since been upgraded, or that computer is no longer being used.

If you received a notification on Linux and you are running ext4, it may be because you are also running ecryptfs. ecrypfts is not supported. However, we support full disk encryption systems, such as LUKS for Linux users. Security of your data is our highest priority. 

If you are seeing a notification on your computer, but have your Dropbox folder on one of the supported file systems, please reach out to Dropbox Support so they can help you resolve the issue.

Thank you for your continued feedback as active members of our community.

- Dropbox Team

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Why do you keep sending the same note. You have made an stupid move and you need to understand this ASAP. Formatting a lot of devices to add LUKS encryption is not a solution. 

An easier solution is to switch to MEGA or use syncthing. 

Please, understand that. 

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Spot on! They have been supporting all these formats for years now. If their new "features" does not work with anything other than ext4 why not just exclude these "feautures" from the other filesystems and let it continue as normal?

Dropbox... Continue with your sha!t and you will loose almost all of the linux community. There are plenty of other cloud storage solutions out there and if this is how it is then you lost many users. A great alternative (better in my eyes) to Dropbox is Megasync. And plus... BS is not included in one of their "feautures".

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6
"we’re committed to providing the best cross-platform experience to as many users as possible."

This line must surely be a joke ? when you effectivly killed my cross-platform dualboot system. In fact...this whole post is to little to late, and changes nothing when you claim to listen. But as you say...it only effects a small percentage so why would you care.. 
Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

This is crap. I just when through all the loops to get a luks container mounted as an ext4 system and it's not working. Still get that crappy message. Some state information is stuck somewhere and I don't have the time nor the patience do dig for this bug.

I am fed up. I am moving away from your service this weekend. If needed, I'll write my own. This is ridiculous.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?