cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?

Re: Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

Eliphas Q.
Helpful | Level 5

@jandecooman wrote:

[...] I have problems finding a statement of Dropbox itself.

The first reply on the page 1 is from a Dropboxer, with a link pointing to the official system requirements. For linux, only Ubuntu or Fedora, only EXT4, and if encrypted, only LUKS. They are focusing support on only two out of 5? 6? mainstream distributions.

I'm not giving up on my encrypted harddrive with ext4.

You do not have to, technically. They are dropping support for everthing else (plus eCryptfs).

If you are currently using ext4 full disk encryption (LUKS), or care to backup/format/reinstall to that, you are supported (oficially only if you are on Ubuntu/Fedora).

Re: Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

Demonbob
Explorer | Level 4
Goodbye Dropbox after using Your product from almost the beginning I am making the switch completely to Resilio Sync. I have already been using Resilio Sync for syncing my development repositories from my Desktop, Laptop, and development Server at work as I had issues with syncing .git folders with Dropbox. I’ll be moving all my files in the Dropbox folder to my Documents folder and syncing with Resilio. Between Resilio and Crashplan for backups I’ll be happy.

I can count on two hands the times I accessed dropbox’s gui for a particular task so by dropping support for encryptfs when you really don’t need to you lost a dedicated user, and I’ll recommend all my family and friends to stop using your product and to find alternatives.

giopk
New member | Level 2

My use case requires eCryptFS on one of my machines, therefore bye bye Dropbox, I only have a Pro subscription, but obviously I'll reccomend my customers to move to the new solution I'll choose.

regeya
Helpful | Level 6
Even though I ended up making sure my Dropbox folder was on an unencrypted ext4 partition, I'm dropping my paid account as soon as I can. I use Google drive for sharing proofs with clients and haven't been using Dropbox for anything other than a client who shares his folder with me.

Re: Unsupported filesystem btrfs

Mario15
New member | Level 2

This is a copy&paste reply. You didn't say anything that is new.

The Dropbox position is just stupid: modern file-systems like BTRFS and ZFS got dozens of major features with respect to ext4. They provide the "extended attributes" feature that is required by Dropbox. Not a technical limit: it looks an arbitrary position.

Dropbox... goodbye!

jelabarre
Helpful | Level 6

I have a laptop that (due to flakey hardware) won't work with LUKS (illogical, yes, but that seems to be the case).  So since the only other option for a *SECURE* home directory is eCryptFS, Dropbox looks like it'll be a non-viable option very soon.  And just as I was going to start setting it up for other users.  Once again, some useful application I set up for plenty of other people has decided to spit on the customer base.  Well, I'm used to the "tear-down other solutions and replace wholesale" process by now, so it's not even a big deal to LEAVE Dropbox now.

Re: Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?

kbellve
Explorer | Level 4

I moved my Dropbox to my OS drive after I posted above, formatted as EXT4. Still got the error today. The error is linked to the machine in question, and not another machine on the account. 

I am wondering if Dropbox's script is flagging incorrectly...

/dev/mapper/fedora-home on /home type ext4 (rw,relatime,seclabel,data=ordered)

Drop Box is here: /home/kdb/Dropbox/

Re: Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?

JackZielke
Explorer | Level 3

kbellve, I am in a similar boat. Linux, no encryption, ext4, but still getting the error. I wonder if they have specific mounting options to go with their specific filesystem choices. You have relatime. I have noatime.

/dev/md1 on /home type ext4 (rw,noatime,errors=remount-ro,data=ordered)

Cory S.3
New member | Level 2

I've been a paid Dropbox user since its inception. I even adopted Dropbox Paper. I can't believe this decision to drop full Linux support. I'll be canceling my subscription once the sync client stops working for Ubuntu and an encrytped hard drive.

At Oregon State University, we get a free, unlimited subscription to Box. I was paying for Dropbox anyway and having my students use it. I even use Dropbox Paper to write homeworks for a class of 130 students. Looks like all of your potential customers are gone, Dropbox.

shuddertrix
Explorer | Level 4

Hey Dropbox team,

I use the XFS file system which is a common file system has full support for X-attrs and is supported by other large programs such as Samba. I am hoping the strict ext4 reliance can be relaxed to support any file system that supports X-attrs.

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?