cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?

Re: Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?

johnnydwicked
Explorer | Level 4

How do I format it to EXT4? I tried doing that and Dropbox still says it's not supported! What am I doing wrong?

PTS93
Explorer | Level 4

After Dropbox refused syncing the past 2 days it is now syncing again after the client updated.
Running ecryptfs. I'm guessing someone at Dropbox got a bit nervous by the amount of clients that stopped syncing with this change. Sounds like even users with plain ext4 had issues.

If they reverse the decision I'll probably stay a user out of lazyness but they definitely lost a huge amount of trust for me. Not what I ever expected from a Business oriented service.

Joe S.64
New member | Level 2

"After Dropbox refused syncing the past 2 days it is now syncing again after the client updated."

How do you update that?   I thought perhaps an update might help something, but I'm unclear how to do that short of just reinstalling it all over again.  Tkx.

PTS93
Explorer | Level 4

@Joe S.64 wrote:

How do you update that?   I thought perhaps an update might help something, but I'm unclear how to do that short of just reinstalling it all over again.  Tkx.

Your package manager should offer you an update. Other than that, yes, re-installing should also update it to the latest version.

Joe S.64
New member | Level 2
Your package manager should offer you an update. Other than that, yes, re-installing should also update it to the latest version.

It didn't.  Which then begs the question - can I install it on top of itself, or do I need to uninstall first.  If I have to uninstall, how do I do that short of just deleting it?  🙂

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20
@PTS93 wrote:

Actually no. It is strange (or may be not) but Dropbox use their own "update management", which don't depend on corresponding system dependent one. Initialy installed package (with their own version, independent from actual application version number) just contain some common tools for further installing (actualy self installing) and launching the application, nothing more. This package is very very rare updated! Actual application is downloaded on first launch and is done per user basis. I.e. it isn't system wide install, which (at least for me) is another stupid decision...

So Your package manager will never offer You regular application update, because it just didn't know anything about that! Even more, uninstalling initial package didn't mean that actual application is uninstalled (again package manager didn't know anything about!).

@Joe S.64 wrote:

It didn't.  Which then begs the question - can I install it on top of itself, or do I need to uninstall first.  If I have to uninstall, how do I do that short of just deleting it?  🙂

Actual application (as already noted) is installed per user basis in '~/.dropbox-dist'. If You can run Dropbox and there is new application version available, running application instance will automatically update (quietly) contents of the noted distribution directory. It would be really strange if this can't happen. You didn't mention what is Your current application version. The actual one (at time of this post) is 61.4.95. Usually it isn't need the application to be uninstalled for update, but if You want to finally remove it, it is need the distribution directory to be removed by hand. Dropbox didn't provide any other way. In one other thread (some time ago) I have asked way Dropbox don't use existing package management for the application, but... still no answer. ( Like in this thread 😄 )

Dropbox and ext4

walpurgisnacht
New member | Level 2
Dropbox said it would stop syncing I moved my folder to an ext4 partition. But it has ALWAYS been on an ext4 partition. Now what?

tgs-bonn
Helpful | Level 5

Re Dropbox claiming new location of Dropbox folder isn't supported even though it's ext4:

I had the same problem when moving my wife's Dropbox folder from btrfs to ext4 on her notebook. It finally turned out that it only happened when moving into an existing folder. If you create a new folder from within the Dropbox UI then it will gladly move the Dropbox folder there. Go figure.

Martin L.33
Helpful | Level 5

Today I signed in again and Dropbox happily began syncing. It still issues the warnings at startup but apparently it is working just as before. It syncs both ways. I am running version 61.4.94 on an ecrypfs encrypted folder on Linux Mint 18.3 64 bit.

wexi
New member | Level 2

I also have a Linux machine with Dropbox 61.4.95 and ecryptfs and syncing still works both ways. Would of course be nice to know if Dropbox came to it's senses and ecryptfs will continue to work or will updating the client eventually stop the sync from working some point...

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?