cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?

Re: Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?

calas
Helpful | Level 5
I have just uninstalled Dropbox. Problem solved.

Martin L.33
Helpful | Level 5

I wrote a few days ago that downgrading solved the problem. But the question was how to prevent Dropbox from upgrading. I found that this (so far) works perfectly:

I fetched a copy of the .dropbox-dist folder version 62.4.103 from my Crashplan. I renamed the original (and newer) folder before, just in case. Then I change the owner to root with sudo chown root:root .dropbox-dist. This effectively prevents Dropbox from modifying it.

Make sure the older copy of the folder retains the original permissions, or Dropbox won't start.

dhdurgee
Helpful | Level 5

Sounds good for now, but what if they do a version check and decide to stop talking to older versions?

tj p.2
New member | Level 2

How did you revert?

Martin L.33
Helpful | Level 5

As said in my post, I reverted by grabbing a copy of the .dropbox-dist folder from Crashplan, my backup service.

regression ?

pflash
New member | Level 2
Hi all. I used to share a NFTS partition to store my Dropbox file. I've appreciate the fact that I could find my file / upload them, both from Windows and GNU/Linux. During years that was possible to save place in disk this way : only 1 partition for all systems. Am I wrong, or this is not possible from now with the new version of Dropbox ? Thanks for helping to understand what is going on with this cloud solution.

Re: regression ?

Rainbowlemon
New member | Level 2

Just discovered I can't use Dropbox on my encrypted linux laptop. When Google Drive gives so much more free space... it's an easy switch. Cheers, and thanks for all the fish!

dhdurgee
Helpful | Level 5

You have two possible solutions on your linux installation.  Either fall back to an earlier dropbox dist level that works, change permissions to prevent dropbox from updating it and pray they don't enforce version checking or install the fix I posted above that works around the problem.

Dave

david64
Explorer | Level 4

Sorry, but if Dropbox is forcing me to choose between the security of my files or using their product, it's an easy decision.

It would be useful if the error message could be a bit clearer, though. My file system is ext4 with ecryptfs, but the error message says I must switch to ext4. If this were changed to indicate that the encryption is the problem, it would save people having to go through a lot of troubleshooting and let them move straight to the part where they uninstall Dropbox.

martin k.
Explorer | Level 4

Yep, that error message is sure misleading. I complained about it with Support but they just didn't get it and rather treated me like a stupid school boy.

The funny part here is that it worked perfectly with ext4 and encryptfs before, until they decided to change everything, so it is not that it isn't possible or their programmers were unable to do it, it is just they don't want it or us. BTW: I quickly set up a PC without any encryption at all, just to try, and guess what!? It still didn't work, and I still got that stupid error message.

Well, I got tired and annoyed of it, so I am currently setting up a private cloud system, and as soon as that is up and running, it's goodbye and thanks for all the fish, for me too. And that is not I'm just pulling out the Linux devices: That will trigger pulling out all other devices of my family and partners, too!

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?