cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox computer backup: how to undo?

Dropbox computer backup: how to undo?

Caterina1993
Helpful | Level 5

I uninstalled and reinstalled Dropbox because of some issues with syncing.

In reinstalling, I thought I clicked on "no, I don't want dropbox to backup my computer" but apparently I clicked wrong because it started a backup that I couldn't stop in any way besides using the Pause Sync option. 
So I let it back it up all the way and then turned off the automatic backup on the website, hoping it will delete the backup, but it didn't.

Now I have a backup of my computer on dropbox, which I don't want, and I can't just delete the folder because it deletes things in my computer too.
I tried with a couple of files, and deleting them in Dropbox deletes the original file, almost as if it's not a copy. 

It also doesn't take up any space on Dropbox.

This doesn't make a lot of sense to me, can you help me?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropbox computer backup: how to undo?

Caterina1993
Helpful | Level 5

Apparently I fixed it with the power of intense fiddling.

Following the steps given on the website here: https://help.dropbox.com/en-en/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/computer-backup

It wouldn't let me unsync everything per se, so I had to sync everything but one folder, go ahead until it let me set up the syncing again and unsync that folder. Weird I know, but it worked in letting me unsync. Anyways.

After doing that, I headed to the Dropbox folder and deleted the "my computer files" file, which is basically linked to the C: module.

If I tried to delete the whole folder it would give me a warning showing me it was deleting loads of files, but deleting just the link went smoothly and I lost no data.

Then I was able to delete the folder "computer backup" without any warnings from my computer, and again I lost no data.

Language may vary as my system isn't in English, but sharing the solution in hopes to help someone else down the line.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hi @Caterina1993, thanks for posting!

Can you let me know if you tried the steps outlined towards the bottom of this article, to disable the backup feature, via the desktop app settings?

Also, can you let me know what steps you took to try disable this via the website?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Caterina1993
Helpful | Level 5

Hi @daphne and thanks for answering!
I did, I checked again just now and it let me sync and unsync again, but unsyncing doesn't seem to eliminate the folder in Dropbox and when I try to move it to the trash it says it's moving 15.000 files or something so it definitely isn't empty...
When I click in, it's like it's not even IN dropbox but instead it brings me to the C: folder so it doesn't look like "Computer > Desktop > Dropbox > My PC > Documents" which is where I am directly before I click on "Computer files" which brings me to "Computer > OS (C:) > Users > Caterina > Documents"
On the website there seems to be no automatic backup settings, is this normal?
I hope this additional information helps!

Caterina1993
Helpful | Level 5

Apparently I fixed it with the power of intense fiddling.

Following the steps given on the website here: https://help.dropbox.com/en-en/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/computer-backup

It wouldn't let me unsync everything per se, so I had to sync everything but one folder, go ahead until it let me set up the syncing again and unsync that folder. Weird I know, but it worked in letting me unsync. Anyways.

After doing that, I headed to the Dropbox folder and deleted the "my computer files" file, which is basically linked to the C: module.

If I tried to delete the whole folder it would give me a warning showing me it was deleting loads of files, but deleting just the link went smoothly and I lost no data.

Then I was able to delete the folder "computer backup" without any warnings from my computer, and again I lost no data.

Language may vary as my system isn't in English, but sharing the solution in hopes to help someone else down the line.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?