cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox constantly creating desktop.ini files - how do disable this?

Dropbox constantly creating desktop.ini files - how do disable this?

ysu
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

As per the title; the latest dropbox is now generating desktop.ini files pretty much as soon as they're deleted (they were recreated only on dropbox starts earlier, so a delete upon startup was all I needed).   This is detrimental for me; how can I disable this behaviour? 

They are pretty meaningless files, too, this is all in it:

■[ . S h e l l C l a s s I n f o ]
I c o n R e s o u r c e = C : \ P r o g r a m F i l e s ( x 8 6 ) \ D r o p b o x \ C l i e n t \ D r o p b o x . e x e , - 2 3 0 1

Edit:

-for anyone stumbling onto this one-
There is no solution, dropbox support is unable to reproduce the issue (using windows built-in file manager does not show the file!).
There's also no promise of any solution, ever.  This is what you get you bloody miserable user for paying for this product.

Best Option: use another product.

35 Replies 35

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

In this case, you can also give an advanced reinstall a try - maybe that will do the trick. 

Note that, if you're on a Basic (free) account, there's a three device limit and you'll have to make sure that you've got less than three devices connected to proceed.

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

michaeljm
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi, That is what I did. I have a paid version. Regards, Michael

Incytatus
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am running version 103.4.383. I am using the default Windows Explorer.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @michaeljm & @Incytatus; thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Since this persists after an advanced re-install, I'd suggest contacting our support team so we can look into this with device specific information.

You can let us know your tickets' IDs here so we can locate them on our system as well. 

Thanks for your patience and cooperation so far. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

John-mathematician
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Pretty disappointing. I too have the desktop.ini files appearing, instantly after they are deleted. Paid version... 107.4.443 . Normal Windows 10 installation. Normal Explorer. Nothing special .... just endless .ini files. I have business account as well, and it does the same. Been Dropbox user from the start. Believed in Dropbox. Own stock. (Lost money in it of course.) I'd love to stick with Dropbox, but I'm losing all confidence. This can't be so complicated that the support folks are unable to solve .... if they truly cared about customers.

ysu
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@LusilI've the paid version, and reinstalled a number of times, even on new computers, you name it.

You guys don't seem to know what your product is doing, which is scary to say the least. 

I've even contacted your "support" (it must be quoted; they are a useless bunch, clueless like yourself), they insisted this does not happen, but did not use any decent file manager tool.   The built-in windows "explorer" happily hides these files.

nckersh
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same issue here.  Free version of Dropbox.  Only installed it because a client with whom I'm working uses it.  Wonder if they're having the same issue...

VERY ANNOYING!

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @nckersh; thanks for joining the discussion here. 

Do you happen to have enabled the hidden files to show on your computer? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

TCN-Publishing
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Has there been any solution for the desktop.ini files?? I have recently started running into this maddening issue, as have the other members on my team. I used to be able to delete the desktop.ini files, but now they re-appear almost immediately. Windows 10, paid (business standard) verison of Dropbox.

TCN-Publishing
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have noticed that the desktop.ini files appear in the folders with what appears to be a building or blocks icons, and not in the folders without the icons. The folders highlighted in the screenshot are the folders with desktop.ini files. What does this icon on the folders mean?

dropbox-error.JPG

Need more support?